Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trade brassavola little stars divisions

Posted by shavedmonkey 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 9:05

I need help! I have 30 divisions of little stars for trade, bare root. I will trade for warm loving orchids, as I live in Florida. I am out of room for the real tall orchids. 3.5 plus feet. That should leave a lot of choices. If you have something special to trade I can add to the deal. Trading is fun. For the cost of postage we both get a new and different plant.

The plant became unwieldy. It was in a pot that was in a wood basket that was hung with wires. The wood could not be identified. I did not find a pot. One wire was broken. It was past time.

Little stars is a primary cross between Brassavola nordosa and Br. Cordata. For me it has flowered mostly in the fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trade brassavola little stars divisions

I'll biter, I'm always ready for a trade. Let me know what you'd like, I think you know what I have. Much of what I post on the Gallery is divisible. Gongora? Coelogyne?

Nick

o

OK Nick. How about one of your new tolumnia?

I still need help. There are 29 more divisions....Any other takers?

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 10:27

o

I'm sure some will be big enough for a division. Am expecting the Hawaiian ones today the ones from the Dominican Republic are a couple of weeks away. The latter are more likely to offer a division. I could send you a large division of the plants I already have.

Nick

o

I thought you had a bunch of tolumnia that were the same. Yes, please send me something you already have. Nothing from the cold or cool areas.

Thanks Nick!!

Nick, I will mail on Monday to avoid a possible Sunday layover at the post office.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 13:19

o

Don't rush it, I'll see how many divisions I can find. I will take more than one and grow them out, they'll be perfect for our plant table.

Nick

o

At your convenience Nick.

o

I have too many Nodosa or I'd bite. I love them but enough is enough.

Jane

o

Won't be able to do something until Monday.

Nick

o

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of warm growers to trade. I have a Bulb. Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry', Bulbo ecornutum, Brassidum Longlen 'Bill Switzer, Encyclia radiata, and Epidendrum gnomus. I also have a couple of species Phals (bellina & tetraspis) and Aerangis mystacidii, but they are not blooming size. Let me know if you are interested in any of these.

I have a Brassavola nodsa that does very well but I have had two little stars mysteriously die on me. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

o

A bunch of divisions needing homes.

Greencurls, I'll try to send you a PM

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 14:27

o

A division freshly potted...

o

Another big little stars commanding a cedar post...

o

The pile is shrinking but still there is more than half left. I'm doing some landscaping which requires some new plants. Tropical plants was part of the name of the nursery so I got a hunch. I brought with me 8 divisions. I hoped they would trade.

When I arrive I was greeted by my saleslady, She brought me to a few demonstration planted areas and I noticed orchids in the landscape. So I suggested to the sales lady that I wanted to see if the owner would consider it. She said that the owner has been approached many times and has never traded. I said I want to talk to her anyway.

When I met her and explained, she reiterated the same not interested, not knowing what I had to trade. I convinced her to come take a look in the truck and showed he a 3 gallon pot with 8 divisions.

She asked me if I knew a person and I instantly said yes. The former president of our orchid club. He is related to the nursery owners. Then I knew it was a done deal. And I knew that these plants were going to be thriving and blooming. And with a fat credit on my bill for 6 different crotons to be planted soon.

I got some real nice shrubs and Little stars will be planted around the property.

But I still have more than half of the divisions left. So lets get to trading! It is fun.

Greencurls, yours is in the mail...

o

Am tied up with the grand kids today, I'll get you a list tomorrow

Nick

o

Finally got my list together.

Lc Bonanza Sister x L anceps
Toll Robefield
Eria hyacinthoides
Eria convalroides
Sphathoglottis plicata alba
Coelogyne marthae
Coelogyne pandurata
Coelogyne rochussenii 'Taylor'
Coelogyne fimbriata
Pleurothallis sandermanii (warm)
Max tenefolia
Anacheilum cochleata
ODCDM catatanthe 'Pacific Sun Spots'
C Margaret Hort
Dendrochilum bicallosum
Pot Tropical Orange 'Apricosa'
Mormolyca ringens
A number of Styanhopeas
A number of Cattleya alliance hybrids
A number of Oncidium alliance hybrids
A number of Bulbophyllum

Let me know which you'll want, I'll send them to you and after you've looked them over you can send me the appropriate number of 'Little Stars'. I'll keep the largest for myself and grow the other ones up until they bloom, then they'll go on the plant table.

If anyone else sees something on the list they want to trade for, contact me.

Nick

o

SM - Your Enc. radiata is in the mail. Thanks for trading.

o

I lost track of this thing. Thanks, but am I supposed to send you something or have I already?

Nick

o

Sorry, I'm the one that's confused, ignore the previous thread.

Nick

o

All the divisions have found good homes. I expect they will thrive and bloom. Trading is fun...

o

SM bit on some of my offerings and send me a gaggle of 'Little Stars' Initially I was going to grow them separately and when in bloom pout on the plant table, a noble thought but nobility has long gone the way of dial phones and typewriters. I decided to make a 'Little Stars' tree instead and mounted about 10 of them on this gnarled root stump I have lying around.

These 'tree; mounts look awkward at first but after a couple of years take on a more natural look as the plants get established and grow into each other.

Nick

o

Here is an Oncidium sphacelatum tree.

Nick

o

A three year old Maxillaria tenefolia tree.

Nick

o

My oldest and best established one. A 5 year old Dendrobium delicatum tree which is more than 2 feet wide and growing.

Nick

o

Nice job Nick! I have been giving it water early and daily. Good Luck.

o

Love what you've done! Great ideas, Nick. Great growing.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here