Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

Trade brassavola little stars divisions

I need help! I have 30 divisions of little stars for trade, bare root. I will trade for warm loving orchids, as I live in Florida. I am out of room for the real tall orchids. 3.5 plus feet. That should leave a lot of choices. If you have something special to trade I can add to the deal. Trading is fun. For the cost of postage we both get a new and different plant.

The plant became unwieldy. It was in a pot that was in a wood basket that was hung with wires. The wood could not be identified. I did not find a pot. One wire was broken. It was past time.

Little stars is a primary cross between Brassavola nordosa and Br. Cordata. For me it has flowered mostly in the fall.

Comments (38)

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

I'll biter, I'm always ready for a trade. Let me know what you'd like, I think you know what I have. Much of what I post on the Gallery is divisible. Gongora? Coelogyne?

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK Nick. How about one of your new tolumnia?

I still need help. There are 29 more divisions....Any other takers?

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 10:27

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

I'm sure some will be big enough for a division. Am expecting the Hawaiian ones today the ones from the Dominican Republic are a couple of weeks away. The latter are more likely to offer a division. I could send you a large division of the plants I already have.

Nick

Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought you had a bunch of tolumnia that were the same. Yes, please send me something you already have. Nothing from the cold or cool areas.

Thanks Nick!!

Nick, I will mail on Monday to avoid a possible Sunday layover at the post office.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 13:19

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Don't rush it, I'll see how many divisions I can find. I will take more than one and grow them out, they'll be perfect for our plant table.

Nick

Original Author
    9 years ago

At your convenience Nick.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I have too many Nodosa or I'd bite. I love them but enough is enough.

Jane

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Won't be able to do something until Monday.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of warm growers to trade. I have a Bulb. Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry', Bulbo ecornutum, Brassidum Longlen 'Bill Switzer, Encyclia radiata, and Epidendrum gnomus. I also have a couple of species Phals (bellina & tetraspis) and Aerangis mystacidii, but they are not blooming size. Let me know if you are interested in any of these.

I have a Brassavola nodsa that does very well but I have had two little stars mysteriously die on me. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Original Author
    9 years ago

A bunch of divisions needing homes.

Greencurls, I'll try to send you a PM

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 14:27

Original Author
    9 years ago

A division freshly potted...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another big little stars commanding a cedar post...

Original Author
    9 years ago

The pile is shrinking but still there is more than half left. I'm doing some landscaping which requires some new plants. Tropical plants was part of the name of the nursery so I got a hunch. I brought with me 8 divisions. I hoped they would trade.

When I arrive I was greeted by my saleslady, She brought me to a few demonstration planted areas and I noticed orchids in the landscape. So I suggested to the sales lady that I wanted to see if the owner would consider it. She said that the owner has been approached many times and has never traded. I said I want to talk to her anyway.

When I met her and explained, she reiterated the same not interested, not knowing what I had to trade. I convinced her to come take a look in the truck and showed he a 3 gallon pot with 8 divisions.

She asked me if I knew a person and I instantly said yes. The former president of our orchid club. He is related to the nursery owners. Then I knew it was a done deal. And I knew that these plants were going to be thriving and blooming. And with a fat credit on my bill for 6 different crotons to be planted soon.

I got some real nice shrubs and Little stars will be planted around the property.

But I still have more than half of the divisions left. So lets get to trading! It is fun.

Greencurls, yours is in the mail...

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Am tied up with the grand kids today, I'll get you a list tomorrow

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Finally got my list together.

Lc Bonanza Sister x L anceps
    Toll Robefield
    Eria hyacinthoides
    Eria convalroides
    Sphathoglottis plicata alba
    Coelogyne marthae
    Coelogyne pandurata
    Coelogyne rochussenii 'Taylor'
    Coelogyne fimbriata
    Pleurothallis sandermanii (warm)
    Max tenefolia
    Anacheilum cochleata
    ODCDM catatanthe 'Pacific Sun Spots'
    C Margaret Hort
    Dendrochilum bicallosum
    Pot Tropical Orange 'Apricosa'
    Mormolyca ringens
    A number of Styanhopeas
    A number of Cattleya alliance hybrids
    A number of Oncidium alliance hybrids
    A number of Bulbophyllum

Let me know which you'll want, I'll send them to you and after you've looked them over you can send me the appropriate number of 'Little Stars'. I'll keep the largest for myself and grow the other ones up until they bloom, then they'll go on the plant table.

If anyone else sees something on the list they want to trade for, contact me.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

SM - Your Enc. radiata is in the mail. Thanks for trading.

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

I lost track of this thing. Thanks, but am I supposed to send you something or have I already?

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Sorry, I'm the one that's confused, ignore the previous thread.

Nick

Original Author
    9 years ago

All the divisions have found good homes. I expect they will thrive and bloom. Trading is fun...

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

SM bit on some of my offerings and send me a gaggle of 'Little Stars' Initially I was going to grow them separately and when in bloom pout on the plant table, a noble thought but nobility has long gone the way of dial phones and typewriters. I decided to make a 'Little Stars' tree instead and mounted about 10 of them on this gnarled root stump I have lying around.

These 'tree; mounts look awkward at first but after a couple of years take on a more natural look as the plants get established and grow into each other.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Here is an Oncidium sphacelatum tree.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

A three year old Maxillaria tenefolia tree.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

My oldest and best established one. A 5 year old Dendrobium delicatum tree which is more than 2 feet wide and growing.

Nick

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice job Nick! I have been giving it water early and daily. Good Luck.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Love what you've done! Great ideas, Nick. Great growing.

Jane

• georgette77
    8 years ago

Do you have any left to trade? i would love some!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi georgette, I will have some to divide of little stars in a few months. Now I have a brassavola nodosa 'minimouse' mounted on cork well established for trade. If interested what do you have warm growing for trade? I have some brassia's to trade also. This morning I divided Lc Greenwich 'Elmhurst', available too.

• georgette77
    8 years ago

what I have is :
    Epi crystal valley cherry ballet
    epi radicans
    Kawkinsara sogo doll little angel
    Onc Sharry Baby
    I also have a yellow plumeria, among other non-orchids if you are interested
    I would be interested in either of the nodosas.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Send me an email. hrf003@bellsouth.net

• Sheila
    8 years ago

Some how I missed this thread when it was originally posted. I wish the new GW had a Trades page like the original forum had!

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    8 years ago

There is one http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/orchid-exchange

I wish there was a quick link to it in the related forums area.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Sheila, they bloom in october/november. After the bloom is the best time to divide. If you can wait please request a trade then. Thanks.

• James _J
    8 years ago

I didn't even know there was a orchid exchange page anymore.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Sheila, how can I contact you? I found a dividable opportunity on little stars...

• Sheila
    8 years ago

Hi Harvey. Missed this email. Been busy, leaving town on Monday and busy tying up loose ends. Moving plants, setting up timers, testing them, grrrr, times like these I wish I weren't located 'out in the boonies'. No time to check what I might have to trade.

After looking at the pics, I'm not sure I have the right plant in mind. I thought Little stars was a small plant, smaller than the nodosa? An OS member gave me a piece of one several years ago and he told me it could take cold temps. Well, should not have trusted the weatherman, instead of 36, temps dropped to 32 and the little plant did not survive!

Original Author
    8 years ago

I also have brassavola mini mouse, a miniture, for trade...

• Sheila
    8 years ago

Oh, that's more my size!!! I just have to come up with a warm grower that's not a Catt!

• Sheila
    8 years ago

Tis is getting to be a looong thread. I emailed you my email address .