Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting Sheath Problem

Posted by Jetson15 Va (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 9:24

One of my young Laeliocattleyas is trying to grow a bud sheath but appears to have a problem. I've never seen this before and wasn't sure if I could help it along or whether I just have to sit back and see if it can correct the problem itself. It looks like the sheath got crimped inside the leaf before the leaf opened. Seems to be getting more and more crimped as it grows.

Should I try to help it straighten?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting Sheath Problem

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 12:48

Do not fiddle!. Some will form a sheath and bloom straight away, others will bloom without even forming a sheath, others will form a sheath and do nothing for months and the sheath might even go brown and appear dead.

Do not fiddle, many orchid growers have and have broken off tiny buds.

o
RE: Interesting Sheath Problem

Thanks Arthurm

Just needed to hear someone else say it. The leaves on this particular plant grow out to a very flat posture. Hopefully, when it has fully opened, the sheath will be able to correct itself. The plant is quite young, so this may be a false sheath anyway. I'll show another pic in a few weeks so all can see what happened.

Alan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here