Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Culture for warm growing Coelogyne

Posted by shavedmonkey 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 10:12

I'm having difficulty finding any culture info on warm growing coelogyne. Please advise.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Culture for warm growing Coelogyne

I have several warm or warm-intermediate growing Coelogynes ie.lawrenciana, massangeana etc and I find them easier to flower than cristata in this area. The main thing is they do not like high light and will burn very easily. I would err on the side of caution to begin with and keep them very shady. Occasional cool night temps are okay and may help flowering which is mostly winter. Good luck. Ian

o

I'm having a problem with a warm grower I bought 4 months ago...nothing happening!

Its been hanging in the shade and I haven't seen any growth at all. Its alive but doing nothing.

I was going to post about this also. Its Coel. rochussenii and is supposed to like heat and wet. Curious to see any comments on these warm growers.

Jane

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 21:41

Hi Jane,
Here tis. grown to perfection 2700 km north of here where it is currently the "dry" season.
This is what I entered under the pic. it may assist.
"The pic. is here because the President of WSOS is a friend of the owner .
Plant received FCC/AOC when the the judging panel visited the orchid. The plant is growing in a shade-house in tropical North Queensland some 2700 kilometers from here. There are two seasons there, the wet and the dry. Currently it is very wet and my understanding is that the plant is misted daily in the dry."
Do not know why the pic. is not upright.
Coelogyne rochussenii 'Joy'

o

That's why I bought this orchid. Unbelievable photo! Yet, I can't get any growth on it.

I bought a large division, 6 bulbs. Looks nice and healthy but just sitting.

This is the hot, rainy season in Florida. It is 11pm and its 82degrees F. Very humid and tropical. Hot every day...I keep asking myself why I moved here!

I've had the plant 6 months (just checked) and I'm concerned about the lack of growth during our Spring.

Nothing seems wrong so I guess I'll just keep waiting. Growing it in pure sphag in an open basket.

Thanks for the beautiful photo,

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here