Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

I am NOT going to go to Santa Barbara this weekend.

orchidnick
9 years ago

In 18 years I have never missed a Santa Barbara show or open house. Last time, I decided not to go but my self driving car took me there Sunday, against my will. I truly have too many orchids and hardly need anything they might have to offer. If I go I'll invariably come back with a bag full of plants that, at this time, I do not know I desperately need.

Fuuutball is going to help, I have been following the World Cup and there are games on tap both Saturday and Sunday. One of our friends is a full bloodied German who, for the love of the Faterland, is hosting a World Cup Finale party with beer, bratwurst and all the trimmings. "Deautschland ueber alles, ueber alles in der Welt!!"

That will help. If I can only stop myself from going on Friday, the 22 men chasing the round ball around the pitch will keep me from going Sat and Sund. I'm getting a hold on my addiction.

Nick

Comments (22)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

When I go to the orchid meetings, I introduce myself by offering my name and saying I'm an orchoholic. Just kidding.

• allymarie
    9 years ago

LOL, you guys are too much.I'll be rooting for you Nick.(snickering)

Allymarie

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

I saw the $7.50 offerings on their daily specials earlier in the week and thought of you Nick :-)

10/$85 including shipping is a pretty darn good offer IMO.

Good luck staying away,

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Seven-fifty special

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you are going to order the $85 deal, tell them you don't want any Dend kingianums, otherwise there will be 3 of them in there. That one is a big money maker for them.

Nick

• tanie51
    9 years ago

I understand totally what you meant Nick. I went to an Orchid Show last month and brought home 4. I told myself from now on, I'm not going to the stores but wait for Orchid Show 1 X year to go there so I can have more choices. Before that, every weekend I went all over the town to "look only" at the orchids. I restrained myself by not bring my purse with me in the stores. But sometimes I "exempt" my own rule from that too. I started it out April 1, 2013 by one tiny little phal. cost me 12.99 and now over a year, I have 22 orchids in my living room. My daughter built me a planter with 3 tiers and it's 4 ' in width and around 3' or something like that (She's bring it to me tomorrow) in height. I told her that it has to be nice enough for me to put it in my living room and she did. But after that planter fills up, I really don't know where else to put them. I envy you who live in countries that is warm all year long for orchids. I looked into having a BC green house but to keep that house warm enough for orchids in winter it will cost me arms and legs to pay for heat. So, what do I do? my living room is getting smaller and smaller and it's more like a green house now with a fan, an octopus lamp and a humidifier running all days & nights...

Tanie

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There always is a way. How many bathrooms do you have? You only need one, the other one makes a perfect greenhouse

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

You might have to get rid of the space hogs and try miniatures. Plenty of nice ones to choose.
    "I envy you who live in countries that is warm all year long for orchids." The tropical myth lives, some 50 active growers in the local orchid society and no one can grow a Miltoniopsis....well one could, but he has gone to the great glass-house in the sky.
    There was a frost on the back lawn the other morning. Brrrr. Lol

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

'One day at a time,' Toronto Mayor.

Hang tough, Nick. Alcohol, crack...nothing compared to orchids.

Feel for you,
    Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the orchiholic introduction but it should be followed by a statement how long you have been on the wagon. For example: "My name is Icabod Bumblesquat, I'm an orchiholic, I have not bought an orchid for 12 days."

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

My name is Arthurm and I have bought two orchids in the last six months. In remission!

9 years ago

I have not had this many new orchids since I first started this orchoholism. And I did not pay for any of them. Just the postage. All in trades. It is fun!

Sometime in the 1800's when orchids started to be available, the psychiatrists of the day thought that orchids caused a physical addiction. I forgot the name they coined of the "disease"but it was funny. They really believed it.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I'm married to a Psychiatrist, 42 years. When he realized I was truly addicted, he suggested medication.

I just bought more.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is he 42 years old or have you been married for 42 years. That would be a modern time record. I only know one couple that have been married that long.

Nick

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

42 years? Yay, love! :-D My only long-term goal in life- happily celebrate a 50-year anniversary.

The first marriage didn't work out...

But, being divorced by 26 means I have valuable experience ;-) sort of...and a lot of time to use it...yay, optimism :-(

This next time around, though, is going to be AWESOME! Wooooot! Let's hear it for forever!

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good for you, congratulations.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not drive to Santa Barbara so I was partially successful in my quest to avoid the beast. I wrapped my car keys in bacon and fed them to the dogs last night to remove temptation. I just finished watering this morning and life was good, I was on track.

At 9AM this morning I became the victim of a home invasion. 2 men, bigger and younger than me, barged in my front door. I recognized them from my orchid society. Against my will, they forced me into their car and headed for SB. What was I to do, there were 2 of them, only one of me.

Once in SB I would have stood out as someone odd and bizarre if I didn't buy orchids which is what everyone else was doing like crazy. So in order to preserve my good standing in this group of 'The Usual Suspects', I got 10 from the $7.50 table at SBOE and 8 of Cal Orchid's Epidendrums. I'll post pictures on the Gallery.

My kidnappers were kind enough to drive me home. No real problem except now I have to follow my dogs around for a couple of days to get my car keys back. I'll definitely NOT go to the next function in Santa Barbara, I'm not addicted and I'm in full control of my life.

Nick

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Hopeless.

Jane

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

OMG! You are going to have to move away and change your name.

Go somewhere where they will never, ever find you...

It's the only way!

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

IMO, it's Bob's fault. He orchestrated the whole thing. Notice what he said about the $7.50 table ^^^

I believe he may be ex-CIA...those are clear-cut mind control techniques he used. Don't be fooled. You are NOT an addict. You are a CIA puppet.

(You can use that to justify your purchases in the future.)

9 years ago

feed the dog beans...

• tanie51
    9 years ago

Move away is a very good Idea, back to Canada, Yellow Knife or Yukon is best I think....!!

Tanie

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually I spend a summer in Inuvik/Aklavik which is about 20 miles from the Arctic ocean. Just north of that, on the sea, is a little village called Tuktoyaktuk. I'll see if they need an orchid society, that would be a safe place for me and I could start one for them. I don't think there are any orchid societies north of the Arctic circle, it's about time.

Nick