Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

What is wrong with this phal leaf?

caliloo
16 years ago

And how do I fix it? This happened in the last day or two. It started wint one spot about the diameter of a pea. In two days the whole leaf is affected.

{{gwi:182119}}

Thanks for any help!

Alexa

Comments (6)

• jamcm
    16 years ago

Ouch! No idea, probably fungal given that pattern and the rapidity with which it infected most of the leaf, but I'd isolate the plant and cut that off ASAP - cut into the healthy tissue, then dust the cut with cinnamon.

Julie

• highjack
    16 years ago

I agree it is either fungal or bacterial - cut it off and put cinnamon on the cut edge. It appears to be the top leaf and you must stop the infection before it hits the crown area. Make sure the cut is at least 1/2" below the mush part. I think I would also water the plant with straight peroxide. After cutting it off, disinfect your shears/knife with a straight bleach soak for 5 min or use a disposable razor blade and pitch it.

Good luck, hope you can save it.

Brooke

• caliloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alrighty then.

THe leaf has been removed, the blade is in clorox and I watered with peroxide and dusted the cut with my very expensive imported Saigon cinnamon.

Sigh.

I guess there is nothing to do but wait and hope.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Alexa

• jamcm
    16 years ago

Don't forget to isolate the plant, because you really don't want it to spread. You might also want to take a look at your growing conditions to see if you can identify the source of the infection, i.e. enough light, enough air circulation, too hot/cold, etc. It may not be possible to id it precisely, but well grown plants are that much more resistant. My fingers are crossed for you.

Julie

• caliloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Julie.

It is outside by itself, getting about 2 - 3 hours of early morning sun then dappled shade all day. I have only had it a little over a week, so it may have already had the infection when I got it.

Who knows, at least this wasn't an expensive plant. It came from Lowe's and I got it for $6 since it was done blooming. I guess if it croaks, I can take it back since it will be under their plant guarantee.

Alexa

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

I wouldn't waste good cinnemon on it. Just use peroxide liberally. On the cut especially. Its a good idea to use diluted peroxide regularly anyway. Good luck.
    -MB