Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black spots on leaves

Posted by mike423 5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 11:09

I have a Odontoglossum Orchid and some of its leaves have had very small block spots on the leaves. It seems to be on some of the older leaves and I was wondering what could be causing this and if there is a way to reverse or prevent this from continuing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black spots on leaves

Some orchids get fine black spots on the leaves that are attributed to high light exposure. Nothing to worry about and there is nothing you can do to remove the spots.
Maybe if you give the name of the orchid someone here will be able to verify that high light exposure is the cause.
One well known orchid where the harmless black spots are seen is Oncidium Sharry Baby.

o

Its a Oncda Charlesworthii 'Mtdm Issaku Nagata Emi' Its had it somewhat since I bough it in the early spring but has gotten a little worse since then. The affected leaves have also been getting dried out on the tips and turning brown with black. Until about a few weeks ago I have Been keeping it inside and it hasn't been getting too much light. Infact that was why I moved it outside, I was told that if the leaves are dark green then its probably not getting enough light. I put it on my deck where it get light in the morning for a few hours and then is in the shade of a big tree the rest of the day.

o

Sorry there is no such thing as Oncda Charlesworthii 'Mtdm Issaku Nagata Emi'
does it really say that on the plant tag?

The little black dots are not a problem but dried out tips turning brown and black are are symptom of maybe overwatering.

Also, maybe the weather hasn't been all that kind lately?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here