Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

My 2nd Bag & Sphag - Wish Me Luck!

jodik_gw
15 years ago

A while ago, I received a Coelogyne backbulb, which I immediately bagged, wrapped in a little sphagnum moss... it hasn't been long enough for roots to form yet, but everything looks good so far...

Recently, a friend sent me a Dendrobium keiki from an unnamed mother plant... the purple flowers are lovely in photos... and I placed it in a small plastic pot with some orchid bark, and found a spot in my home that I thought it would like.

I've been watering it as it needs, and it seemed fine... until I noticed last night, that both of its leaves had begun to yellow... not a good sign! I immediately took it out of its pot, and found that the majority of its roots were hollow and obviously dead! No rot on anything, just dead roots.

There is one tiny thin root, about an inch long, and a second living piece of something that I assume to be a root nub, growing very close to the bottom of the stem, right up against it. I soaked some sphag, clipped off the dead roots with clean surgical scissors, dusted the root area with rooting hormone powder, and bagged the little guy. I've got it set on a shelf next to the Coelogyne baggie, and am hopeful that it has a strong will to live.

This is my second "bag & sphag"... wish me luck! I hope I did everything correctly, and I hope these two orchids are strong-willed and have a desire to put forth new growth! I realize how not exciting this is for the veteran growers here, but I wanted to share it so those new to growing and collecting, like me, can see that until there's absolutely no life left in an orchid, there's always hope.

I'll try to get a few photos to add...

Comments (18)

• pcan-z9
    15 years ago

Jodik, I don't think you are going to get roots out of the Coel b-bulb. I could be wrong, but I think you are looking for a new growth to then grow new roots....;0)

Could that "second living piece of something" be a new growth at the bottom of the den cane? Does it have a V shape? If so, with a little time and growth, that will grow a flush of new roots. Don't keep that dendrobium to damp!!

Good Luck!!
    Pat...

• richardol
    15 years ago

{{gwi:182610}}Pat's right about the sequence of events for the Coelogyne. Here is a picture of one of mine that is exactly the same "age" as yours, that is from the same plant and divided at the same time. No new roots but a nice new growth starting.

Good luck with both of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: backbulb.com

• haxuan
    15 years ago

I'm with you, Jodi. I love seeing new growths out of what-seems-to-be-hopelessness! Keep the faith up. I wish you all the success.

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I don't know what I was thinking... I realize now that what I should have said was "waiting for new growth", not roots!

It's possible that the tiny living thing on the Den. is, in fact, a new growth starting... it's so small, that without glasses, I can't really tell! And, of course, I couldn't find a pair of reading glasses to put on at the time!

I have the moss in both baggies damp, but not soaking wet... wrung out, like a kitchen sponge. There is a little condensation in each baggie, but it's not dripping, or anything. I have both in an area that is low light... not dark, but not lit up, either. Dim, would describe it well.

I'm very hopeful of new growth developing, then growing its own set of roots... regardless of what happens, it's an incredible experience, and I'll definitely learn from it.

I thank you all... without your tips and shared knowledge, I wouldn't be doing this... wouldn't even know it could be done! You can be sure I'll shout out if something happens, like new growth!

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I would get the den out of the damp sphag/bag and put it in a small clay pot with some small bark and a tiny bit of sphag, put the plant in good light and let it go. Why are you bagging these plants? New growths need good light to develop and make roots.

They can't do this in a damp, dark environment.

Jane

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Keeping the humidity level up will help new growth form, if I'm not mistaken... is this correct? I can move them to a higher light area, but bagging the pbulbs is the only way to give them humidity.

I'm not lucky enough to have a greenhouse, and I'm not strong enough to live without AC in my upstairs, one room, small, loft style apartment... it's like an oven without the AC! The air is very dry, and I think the baggies help keep humidity where it needs to be.

In my environment, clay pots for orchids are out of the question. I could place the Dendrobium kieki in a small plastic pot with a little bark and sphag, and then bag the pot to hold humidity. The entire thing can be placed in a higher light area. That's the only thing I can think of that will accomplish my goal.

Any thoughts on this course of action? I appreciate any and all advice, as I'm still rather new to orchids...

• pcan-z9
    15 years ago

I just discovered a new growth on the Coel b-bulb Richard sent me yesterday!! So with this one, I'm learning.

But, the clay pot may be a useful thing for you as to the dendrobium. The problem with the bag is lack of air movement. Humidity is a good thing when re-starting many orchids, but stagnant humidity = bad, or I should say, that has been my experience. You can use the clay pot for humidity and at the same time allow for some air movement. I have taken a clay pot, a few rocks in the bottom, and set the pot in a small bowl of water. The clay will wick water up and release it around the plant in the form of humidity. No need for a bag. The rocks in the bottom of the pot keep the plant itself from touching the water. If your air is very dry, the water in the bowl will evaporate quickly. Fill it when needed. Dendrobium is tough one .....but one thing that will do them in quicker than anything is to much water/wet/damp = rot.

Also very bright light (not direct sun at this point) will be needed to make your new growth strong. It needs that now, as bright as you can provide without intense heat buildup or burn.

You may do just fine with things as they are (some swear by the bag method), but keep that den checked closely. At the **first** sign of a black smut type stuff that is easily wiped away, you have mold/mildew - to wet/humid. At that point, the chances are good for a rot infection setting in, it will take out that new growth first. Should that mold/mildew thing happen, it may be time to try out that clay pot......;0)
    Good Luck Jodi!
    Pat...

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Pat!

I love the idea that a clay pot set in a container of water will wick it up and turn it into humidity around the plant... the only thing I worry about is the clay getting too chilly in the air-conditioned atmosphere in my apartment. I had problems with that last winter. A few plants I have didn't like the cold clay.

I will do as you say... first thing in the morning. I will move the plant into light, and try a little clay pot set in a saucer of water... I should have some small gravel here, somewhere in my craft mess! It's worth a shot!

There's no sign of any mold or slime or ick... no rot... everything looks ok, except for the leaf loss on the Den.

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

I would not bag the dend. I'd go ahead and place it in some seedling bark and let it root out that way. They really don't like to be kept damp.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Here's a pic (out on my deck) of a few den pieces - keiki's and some small back pieces. All were stuck in some bark in spring and have all made growth. They are outside on my deck in full sun all day. They have been pretty neglected, but are all growing. The one in the small clay pot has no media. Just a keiki stuck in a little pot. Dens like dry and lots of sun. When a plant is making growth, it needs light.

{{gwi:182611}}

When they are little like these, they should be watered more often if they are not in any media. Don't put too much emphasis on humidity. On the list of important requirements, it is last on the list. For dens, you want light, water and warmth. You can think about humidity when the plant has the other three.

Jane

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the great growing tips and information... while it's not feasible to put any of my orchids outside, I think I can come up with a similar spot indoors.

I think I sort of panicked when the little keiki started to lose leaves... I don't want it to die because it was a gift. I shall combine the advice above, find the best spot for it, and hope that this little guy wants to live!

Thank you to everyone trying to help me save this little Den! I appreciate the shared knowledge and experience very much!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've taken the Den keiki out of the baggie, placed it into a small clay pot with some bark, and left a couple of strands of moss loosely bunched at the root area... I've got the clay pot set in a clay saucer, and under that is a plastic saucer with a little water in it. The whole thing is sitting on a heating pad under grow lights.

I hope this covers the light, warmth, and a bit of humidity. I'll watch it closely, and add water as needed.

I really wish our greenhouse was up and operational right now... it will be a while before growth appears on the Coelogyne without that advantage! Everyone is seeing new growth on theirs already... everyone except me! The pbulb is quite wrinkled, but it's still green and the leaves are both still hanging in there! No sign of new growth yet, but I don't have the advantage that a greenhouse gives.

I must say... this is all so exciting and suspenseful! Regardless of the outcome, I look at this as a wonderful opportunity to learn, and to hone my skill at growing!

Now I'm wondering if I should do anything different with the Coelogyne? Should I move it into more light? Dare I put it into a clay pot with bark? Or am I just freaking out?!

• highjack
    15 years ago

Put it in a small clay pot with sphag, water when dry, put it in your east window. When you see the tiny little green "stick" starting, remember the roots will be as long as the new growth. Don't worry about the humidity, the sun in the east window will keep it warm enough, don't use the heating pad.

Growing it sealed in a bag with moist sphag could possibly rot any new growth before it gets going or it is big enough for you to see.

Is your apt. so cold you need a heating pad?

Brooke

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The problem is... the AC unit is in the west window, directly across from the east window... the cold air blows almost directly across the room... and the unit's louvres can't be pointed down or elsewhere. I can definitely see that the plants currently in the east window don't appreciate the intermittent blasts of cool air that circulate toward them. However, because it's an upstairs apartment, the AC must run... or we'll cook up here!

I could rig some sort of a blanket or something in the east window alcove... to block the AC from reaching that area... hmmm. But, yes... the cold air does have an effect, and the east window is the only one with decent sunlight. It's a crummy place to grow plants, but it's what I have at the moment.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As an update... I've moved the Den into the east window area... it's currently in a small clay pot with a little bark and a few strands of sphagnum moss... I've attempted to block the flow of cold air from the AC unit, so that should help.

I just want to thank everyone for helping me figure out this little problem... you've all been wonderfully patient, and so very helpful, and I really appreciate the knowledge you've all shared!

Upon closer inspection, with glasses, I can see that the little Den is growing a tiny new growth up against the original stem! With proper care, it should take off and grow quite nicely!

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Whats the room temps? If its in the upper 70's I don't think the cool air blowing on it will matter. These plants like a lot of air circulation. That new growth needs lots of light to get going. Don't worry about watering, it's living off the older cane right now. It will send out roots later. Keep it dry. Cold and damp spell rot.

Jane

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Jodi, congrats on the sign of life in the den! You're doing good and I must admire your patience!

I rarely have to go thru the things you do with orchids, lucky me. I wish I could send you a bunch of orchids from here, you know, I really wish I could... if only the laws allow that! Sigh!!!

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would say that the room temps fluctuate between 68 and 76, or thereabouts... within human comfort range, certainly. There are two ceiling fans that circulate the air, and those are on constantly.

Thank you so much for all the great advice... I think I've got it figured out. I'm probably paranoid, more than anything... I just want to make sure I do everything within my power to keep these guys alive and well, and growing!

Thanks, Xuan! I know you'd send me wonderful orchids if you could! I sure wish it were possible... you have some gorgeous plants!