Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zygopetalum help

Posted by orchid_cleo (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 13:52

Hello can anyone advise with my Zygopetalum. I believe I have Louisedorf and a couple of Arthur Elle. I've had these plants about 7 years but I never get to build up a good solid plant. I get a new bulb, it sprouts leaves, it flowers, then just as the flowers begin to die, the leaves start to turn yellow and have a brown colouring starting from the tip down. Looking at it I imagined the brown might feel soggy like rot when I touched it, but it was dry.

I tend to keep them off the windowsill as the strong light didn't do them much good, average room temperature for the UK and I water once a week.

Is this normal behaviour for a Zygo - they do keep surviving with new bulbs forming but shouldn't I be able to keep the leaves after flowering?

Thanks for any suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zygopetalum help

"I get a new bulb, it sprouts leaves, it flowers, then just as the flowers begin to die, the leaves start to turn yellow and have a brown colouring starting from the tip down. Looking at it I imagined the brown might feel soggy like rot when I touched it, but it was dry."

I have been growing Zygopetalum SPECIES for a long time. What you describe is normal - especially "it sprouts leaves, it flowers". Zygopetalums aren't grown/known for their foliage! :)

--Stitz--

o

I have a zygo and the leaves turn brown and/or develop brown spots as they age. I can say it does like bright light.

Sarah

o

....especially, the spots.

Zygopetalums are a very dynamic orchid compared to many. There are leaves which are constantly turning brown throughout the year. I have several plants which just initiated new growth very recently. I hope for a LOT of activity around Aug/Sept/Oct!

--Stitz--

o

If this is any help there are 2 Zygo species which grow locally here in Brazil. Both are terrestrials and are found on shady, rocky slopes at about 3000- 4000 feet elevation, so fairly cool esp at night. Summers are very wet but winter is almost completely dry some years (we have not had any rain here for over 3 months this one). Clumps can get very large and look very scrappy in the semi-dormant period.

o

Ian, Thank you for your comments. Yes, Zygos can appear "scrappy" or as I prefer to call them, "ratty".

You neglected to ID the 2 Zygo species. Will you, please, ID?

--Stitz--

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here