Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this? (pictures inside)

Posted by velamina (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 14:03

I recently purchased this young, Cattleya Chocolate Drop from ebay (reputable seller). The leaf on top is cut all the way across near the crown, the tiny leaf immediately next to it has a small "cut-out", and there is some discoloration on the largest leaf. Should I be concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this? (pictures inside)

(Photos)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattleya Chocolate Drop I and II

o

it should be fine. it looks like they cut it off for cosmetic purposes. maybe it was scorched or had a bit of rot.

o

I agree with cody. Doesn't look like too much to be concerned about. Because of its proximity to the crown of the growth, just make sure that you don't get water in the crown and you should be good to go. Maybe try sprinkling some cinnamon on the crown and the leaf.

o

Thanks! I'm just starting to collect a few and on my budget the price was right. Also, I wanted one that wasn't ready to bloom for a while.

Mail order is always a gamble, but I'm glad it's not a fungus or virus. That's what concerned me about the leaf being cut.

I'm learning a lot here on this forum. Thanks so much for helping and answering my questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here