Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_tacoma

Vandas growing in glass vases or jars

ron_tacoma
13 years ago

I came across a old posting 2008, This lady in England was growing her Vandas indoors in glass vases. If some members have photos of you doing that. Would you please post them on the forum.

I had a recent greenhouse fire. No structual damage, but he heat roasted all my dendrobiums and vandas that were hanging baskets and S hooks. So now that I am starting over I was thinking on trying some of the vandas in vases.

Comments (4)

• xmpraedicta
    13 years ago

Sorry about the loss of your plants - that really sucks...good luck in the replenishment of your collection.

Am I allowed to do this?

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Calvin. I ran across those photos when I was doing my computer search. With those and the lady from England my interest in this method has increased.
    I lost over 200 orchids in the fire. But I cann't complain in fact I thank my lucky stars. I have a lean too greenhouse attached to the house. So except for loosing my benches and plants. I had no structural damage. I did say a pray of thanks that night.

• blueszz
    13 years ago

Currently I have only one picture to share with you. Vanda's in a vase work great. The link to the photo shows a Vanda in a vase. I prefer to fixate the plants in the vase using some wire that I wrap around the vase. I don't take them out with every watering. Just fill the vase and pour the water out after they soaked long enough. In this picture the plant is resting on some skewers. This way the plant still wiggles in the vase and roots get damaged every time you pour the water out of the vase. Each vase contains almost 3 gallons of water and I had to fill the vases every morning! All of them... and empty them off coarse.

Not sure if I put mine back in vases this winter. During the summer mine play outdoors, bare root. One thing to keep in mind is that when the sun gets strong during spring, you might cook the roots that are in the vase, because of the magnifying effect of the vase. Also, you want the vase hight enough to keep the roots from the bottom of the vase and that the vase is wide enough to allow air circulation.

Currently, the Vanda in the picture is flowering from 2 spikes with 15 blooms in total, each almost 5 inch across.

Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:183659}}

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Nicole I appreciate the information. Somehow I had 3 baby Rhynochostylis that survived the fire (maybe). Don't know how I got them or from where. But I am going to give them a try. So far on my computer searches I am impressed what I see. Nice picture! It really shows some good roots.