Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating with rooting hormone?

Posted by yukichan z9 FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 14:29

I recently got a little jar of rooting hormone powder that I was planning on using to propagate shrub cuttings, but I was wondering if it would work on orchids. Anyone tried it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating with rooting hormone?

I just did a search on 'rooting hormone' and found 51 hits in the forum about this topic, so you'll find more info there that I can give you.

In short, some have tried it with success. It has never worked for me, where as Superthrive has done wonders for improved orchid roots for me. But it depends upon what orchids you're trying to propagate, too. Orchids aren't like a lot of other plants in that way. If you took a 10 pb plant, and divided it into 10 individual pbs, you might get 10 plants out of it, but it will be a number of years before you got anything to bloom. Orchids use the older pbs as food to support new growth.

I'm also trying to say that orchids just don't propagate like shrub cuttings- in general you can't just cut off pieces and expect that each will readily grow a new plant. Some types lend themselves more to this, but again not recommended.

o

I think the actual 'hormones' are secondary to the anti-fungal agents in most rooting powders. If your cutting will form roots naturally, the powder can help keep it from rotting while it does so.
Some people swear by "keiki paste" but I can't offer an opinion on that, never tried it.
Regards - Nancy

o

I just tried propagating an epidendrum that had several keikis on its stalks. Hope it works. They're not dead yet at least!

o

Orchids, unlike some shrubs and tree or plants like begonias, won't root from a simple leaf cutting or a cut stem or psuedobulb even with the help of rooting hormone powder or paste. Most orchids have a node, like phalies and dendrobiums that keiki paste can be applied to induce roots. Cattleyas and other rhizome type orchids will have several eyes at the base of the pseudobulb. I haven't tried applying hormone paste on the eye, but it couldn't hurt. A cattleya has usually two main eyes, and two secondary eyes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here