Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommy115

putting orchids outside

mommy115
11 years ago

I have only 2 phals. The light in my house is not all that bright due to carport overhangs on both sides and an awning on one side and a large tree on the other. (it's a single wide mobile home so there is only one window on each side on the ends.) I've thought about putting them out for the summer but am concerned for 3 reasons. Snails are a plague in this area....will they eat it or it's roots? It gets in the 90s a lot of days in the summer. My past experience with taking other plants out and then returning them indoors for the winter is that there are all sorts of bugs on them. Should I be concerned about these things? What are my options. Thanks again for the help!

Comments (6)

• arthurm
    11 years ago

The problem is not so much bugs, rather the weather "outside" Recommended by the Phal experts here as the extreme temperature range is low about 55F High about 90F.
    If you get plus 100F temps with low humidity , plus UV extremes it is goodbye Phals in an unprotected situation.
    This is not answering your question, but here, latitude 33S unprotected outside is death. You will get a different answer from growers in the far north of the USA, but there in summer, the sun is at a lower angle in the sky.

• westoh Z6
    11 years ago

Yes you may get critters, but a good dose of a Bayer's Systemic once a week for 3-4 weeks before bringing them in should fix that. Also, be sure to set them up on a stand or something, don't leave them sitting on the ground/patio, even if in a pot.

We've had highs in the low to mid 90's consistently here in western Ohio for the last 4-6 weeks and my phals are doing great, if you put them under one of the awnings away from direct sunlight, they should do OK.

Be sure to watch them closely for the first few weeks to get a handle on the new watering conditions.

Good luck,

Bob

• ifraser25
    11 years ago

I think with Phals it's not such a huge benefit putting them out of doors as they don't need strong light and are not keen on very fluctuating temperatures which they are likely to get in Zone 5. Also, snails just love Phalaenopsis!

• mommy115
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ty all for the great info! Just what I needed!

• klrkkr
    11 years ago

I would like to give my two-cents-worth. I don't know what kind of tree(s) you have, but I have four pretty large white oaks. I have over 40 orchid plants, including Phal., vandas, and Cattleya Alliance plants hanging under them. I have never seen a snall on any of my plants in all the years I have hung them outside. Ants can be a problem, but easily solved with something like Orthene powder. We get hard freezes here in NE Mississippi, so in October, everything has to come inside. Then in March/April, I hang them all back outside.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

All of my phals are outside on plant stands under a very sizable tree for the summer. I don't have any problems with snail. Keeping them off the ground helps. My phals are doing great! Despite reaching into the 90s, I have lots of new growth (leafs, roots, and spikes). The shade is really helping with the heat. I will leave them out until it dips into the 50s which hopefully won't be until October. Good luck!

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts