Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange looking leaf

Posted by Tanie51 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:49

Hello Friends,

I just found out this strange looking broken leaf on a new shoot of my oncidium. This is the one has been giving out ton of roots and not rebloom like some of it's housemates. and now I saw this. Wonder what that is. Looks like there is a leaf with a sheet wrapped around some more new leaves. But it broke off close to the bottom of the shoot and then the new shoot keep growing, pushing that broken leaf out. Could you tell me what it is doing and why it is doing that, There are more new shoots with that kind of wrap around too and I am afraid they might do that and would that harm the plant?

Thank you,

Tanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange looking leaf

My question is should I gently peel that wrap off to free the new shoot?

Thank you!

Tanie

o

I guess you could. Can't tell from the photo, but I would use your judgement and slowly peel it back and see whats under it. You could probably just leave it alone.

Jane

o

Thank you Jane. I did peel it off. You are right. I could just leave it and the new leaves will push it up and out but I think the new leaves are happy to be free. Am trying to see if there's any sign of a spike but none. Just a lot of new leaves and million of roots!! Roots grow everywhere! I don't know if that is normal or not but I will just have to let it be. I brought this up a while ago but most friends on the web told me "be patience. Growing roots is a good sign too", so, I'll just be patience and see what it will do for me next....

Tanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here