Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheeshshe1

Leaves turning brown

sheeshshe1
13 years ago

My orchid didn't bloom this year and I thought it maybe wasn't doing good, but the roots are growing great still. But, now in the last couple of days the bottom set of leaves are turning brown.

what am I doing wrong?

Comments (9)

• arthurm
    13 years ago

What sort of orchid do you have? and where do you live in the USA?

• sheeshshe1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

phalenopsis and it is inside on my windowsill. I'm in zone 5

• andrew6484
    13 years ago

Can you post a picture of the plant? Are there actively growing root tips?

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

"phalenopsis and it is inside on my windowsill. I'm in zone 5"

sheeshshe1, Root growth is GOOD!

My Phal schilleriana is losing a leaf at the moment. I'm not concerned. Another, even stronger one is in progress....! And, I don't have (at the moment), any obvious new root growth.

Your USDA growing zone is irrelevant if you are growing indoors. It isn't even a reliable indicator of "where" you are regarding the sun. It's an indicator of outdoor growing conditions. I live in zone 7 which stretches from the Mexican border up to Long Island, NY ! I live in Maryland.

--Stitz--

• terri_andrews
    13 years ago

This definitely has to do with too much sun exposure.

I would do the following:

1. Take the plant off the windowsill, put it somewhere it can receive diffused light..your plant is probably over-heated

2. Spray the leaves with some light water and put it near a fan to get some air moving around it (this will give it a nice artificial humidity)

3. Be sure to SOAK the plant with water once every two weeks (make sure to let the water drain out the bottom of the pot)

See how that works -- if you have any questions email me support@orchid911.com or through my contact link at my website :) hope that helps

For any more information on orchid care, orchid types, orchid lights, or orchid watering...feel free to check out my articles or my free 10 day email course on orchid care :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid911

• orchid126
    13 years ago

Before you move your plant, feel the leaves. If the leaves feel warm to the touch, then move it back from the light a bit (just a bit, now. A little at a time). But if the leaves feel okay, and they're an even green and not splotchy, something else might be going on.

As Stitz says, phals lose their leaves from the bottom. How is the crown of the plant? Is there a new leaf starting? Always a good sign.

Have you slipped the plant out of the pot and checked the roots? How is the medium? Is it broken down? When was the last time the plant was repotted?

If you spray the plant, be very very careful not to get water in the crown. If you do, mop it up with a tissue or paper towel. Rot can start quicker than the blink of an eye.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

terri_andrews on Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 16:28 wrote, "This definitely has to do with too much sun exposure."

PLEASE, help me understand how you arrived at this conclusion?

--Stitz--

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

I should have known....

a commercial advertisement is attached to a 2-day member....

nice try ~ !

• orchid126
    13 years ago

Great detective work Stitz!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County