Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vandas by Silvervase

Posted by taipc 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:03

I saw these strap leaved Vanda plants in flower for $50 by Silvervase. They come in a clear acryclic vase with no planting medium. They claim you can soak the roots twice a week, place in a bright spot, *but not direct sun*, and it will thrive and rebloom. Does it sound it might work? We have a south facing apartment here in Toronto, wonder if I can give them a try.

www.silvervase.com/vanda.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Silvervase vandas care pdf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vandas by Silvervase

Vandas like a lot of air around the roots. They also like a lot of humidity. In the right climate (warm and humid) people just grow them hanging from trees. If the balance is right they'll be better with a lot of sun. If the air is too dry then that wouldn't be good.

o
RE: Vandas by Silvervase

Vandas are normally quite happy in very bright light/ full sun but don't make the beginner's mistake that I have just made and put a nursery-grown plant straight into sunlight. I never thought that I would see a burnt Vanda.....:-(. None of my Vandas is grown in any compost and this is the way they are grown in Thailand. Just suspend them in the air. Good luck. Ian.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here