Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

blooming for 20 months...

Dendrobium Hialeah twist has been in bloom for 20 months. Down to the last couple of flowers as the heat has taken a toll. But there are 6 spikes with more coming so the record is 20 months and counting in flower or bud.

Comments (8)

• philpet
    9 years ago

Wow that's awesome.i have a pal that bloomed for eighteen months, I finally removed the spike even though it still had flowers on the end. Velleta

• philpet
    9 years ago

Wow that's awesome.i have a pal that bloomed for eighteen months, I finally removed the spike even though it still had flowers on the end. Velleta

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

It is great to have an orchid that blooms for so long. How long have you had it and how big is the plant?

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is at least 15 years old. The old canes will re-bloom for years. Almost lost it to mites 5 or 6 years ago. It has won a blue ribbon the few times it has been judged.

It has about 15 canes. In its current configuration I would not divide it. I think it is likely to sulk and it might take several years to bring it to its current condition.

• allymarie
    9 years ago

So lovely! It's a very happy orchid.

Allymarie

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

I have a Phal 'Golden Embers' that I bought before this Christmas with 2 bloom spikes budding. One STILL has three flowers!

• tanie51
    9 years ago

It is very lovely orchid !! I need your advise how and what you do for it to rebloom. I have just one since May /13. Since then, it keeps growing new shoots and looks very healthy but no sign of spike. I grow it in the same table with 7 phals, 2 onci. 2 miltoniopsis. 5 out of 7 phals, milts and 1 onci rebloomed for me but the others are no signs those including dendrobium. I am confident the other 2 phals will give out spike one of these days soon. I would love to see that den rebloom because it was very beautiful color when I bought it. Thank you.

Tanie

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a den from Australia that has had one tiny flower in the last 12 years! Culture matters but what I do in florida may kill your plants here and visa versa. Genetics matter. If the den on this thread lived in Canada chances are it would not do well. Perhaps it is not getting enough sun. I'm guessing due to your high latitude. The best advice any orchid grower can get is from an excellent grower in your zone. They have the experience to manage the plants in your climate.

Also dens are one of the largest groups in the world of orchids which means a full spectrum of culture requirements. I would love to give you a better answer, but I can't.

Luck plays a big part in an orchid constantly producing flowers. Yes, it does need optimum culture. But the preferences of micro climes and how well it matches up to what you have to offer. And those preferences are governed by the bloodlines. A species is more predictable as they have been doing their thing for the millennia and this cross is a modern man made invention. (hybrid) But the luck here is that this plant is right at home.

I do not have and will not create various contrasting micro-climes. Basically my orchids live in a monoculture. Water early and every day. A lot of light. This den comes in the house on cold winter nights and all welcome it on the coffee table. It is too big to fit in my mini greenhouse. I think this orchid has earned its place on the coffee table as needed.

Good luck

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 16:03

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES