Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby orchid surprised me in my garden. What type of orchid is it?

Posted by cosococo Mexico City (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 17:06

So today I was chasing my cat around my garden and found some new tiny purple clusters of orchids growing on a plant that was abandoned and completley neglected. The leaves are green on the front, and deep purple on the back. You can see the tiny flowers in the picture attached.

Being a total gardening newbie I don't really know what type of orchid this is and I really want to make it grow and bring it back from the abandonment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby orchid surprised me in my garden. What type of orchid is

It is definitely not an orchid but otherwise do not know what it is. Could be a salvia species.

o

I have a plant that looks like yours, and dang if the name doesn't fall out the back of my brain every time I haven't used it for a few days. I only ever remember it is a fairly long word that starts with a "P", and has Mona something in it.

OK, dug it up: Plectranthus possibly Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'

o

I agree with tolumniamatt. Both the leaves and the flowers look like salvia.

o

Since the leaves are purple on the back, I agree with Gyr Falcon that it is Plectranthus, although at first I thought it might be a salvia.

o

I think it is definitely Mona Lavender. Thanks for helping me out! Now I can take proper care of it :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here