Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirstylou_gw

Encourage

kirstylou
13 years ago

Hi guys,

My Phalenopsis has just starting sprouting at the base 3 or so green shoots, however they seem to be heading into the moss rather than out to grow a new stem.... do i encourage it to grow up?

link to picture here..... comments please? as this is my first orchid growing :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/schmush/36711_10150209397295366_504975365_1.jpg

thanks

Comments (7)

• philohela
    13 years ago

To my eye, those appear to be roots, so you would want them to grow down into the pot.

I love to see new roots, to me it means happy plant!

Good growing.

• digitalphrag
    13 years ago

Those are definitely roots. Leave them be, don't try to encourage them to do anything. They'll naturally plunge into the potting mix, assuming the conditions are appropriate.

• andrew6484
    13 years ago

Kirstylou,
    I'd say now is the perfect time to re-pot that phal. Your spagnum moss is old looking and could be harboring any number of pathogens! I'd pour a cup or so of hydrogen peroxide through the moss and let it sit an hour before repotting. Need any advice on any of this?
    Andrew

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Andrew, WELCOME to our Forum!

I noticed that you registered on this forum on July 7, 2010. Please, introduce yourself. What is your experience, please?

--Stitz--

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

kirstylou, WELCOME to our Forum!

Thanks for starting this thread. Your foto contribution is outstanding! Keep coming back!!

--Stitz--

• andrew6484
    13 years ago

Hey Stitz!
    Thanks for the welcome. Actually it's a welcome back! I used to post here a few years ago, don't remember the name I used though.
    I started growing orchids 5 years ago, went on a crazy buying spree over 2 days at an orchid show in Oregon. I had never looked at an orchid before, and now I had to figure out how to grow over 50. (I had just bought a new house and had to fill the windowsills) I ended up loosing a couple but most survived. After a year or so, I started growing solely under lights in my garage. By this time I had a hundred or so orchids, and was still buying mini species. I was working at Intel at the time, and found some extra time to work part time at Clackamas Orchids in Canby, Or. By the time I moved to Missouri two years ago I had a couple hundred orchids in 6 different seperate light and climate zones. All went to friends and David at Clackamas Orchids.
    Now I have 8 orchids, two in the windowsill and the rest under lights in a 40gal aquarium. I only started growing again 6 months ago, and am looking to expand my collection with the knowledge gained from growing in Oregon. Two words: species and mini. I guess thats about it, concerning orchids! I look forward to corresponding and learning from you all!
    Andrew

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Andrew,
    Thanks for your update and WELCOME BACK!

Please, send me a PM. I'm interested in your impressions of Clackamas. Thanks,

--Stitz--

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida