Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid newbie, need help/advice.

Posted by vega-lyrah 9a, Sunset 26 FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 17:55

I had never even seen an orchid before I moved back to Florida. Now, I'm caring for my Godmother's. She had three originally, we bought one, and were given another. They all have issues and I'm at a loss.

One of the problems is that they are in window boxes, two plants per pot, and I'm guessing that they are all different types.

Second problem is that my Godmother gave them too much sun and they are sunburned. I'm keeping them on our lanai away from direct light, because I don't know how to give outdoor (or indoor lol) orchids proper sun. They maybe get 30 minutes of light in the morning from a sky light.

Third is that they all have weird spots, twisted leaves, and/or chew marks.

Each pot has the coarse Miracle Grow orchid medium, and I feed them twice a month with the Miracle Grow orchid food. I only water or feed if they feel dry and warm two inches down.

Below is the setup, with individual plant pictures to follow. Thank you guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid newbie, need help/advice.

Here is the phal, I think it is a harlequin, and it has weird sunburned leaves:

o

Here is the one next to the phal:

o

Third one, in the second pot, chewed:

o

Fourth, what I believe to be a Oncidium. It had tiny yellow petal-like flowers on a branched spike before the spike died from being kept in a hot car for too long.

I wasn't sent the picture of the one in the small pot, but that was taken from an oak tree. It's 80 years old according to the person that snipped a bit for us. It's got twisted leaves and brown spots, you got spot it in at least one of the photos.

Thanks again!

o

Hi Vega. Your plants look healthy and the damage seems to be mechanical, no disease that I can see. You appear to have them in large bark. These plants like to stay damp. Same conditions as the Phal so I would soak the bark or water them more frequently.

Depending on the specific plants, they might require more light than the Phal.

You could leave them together and see if you get flowers. If the Oncids don't flower you know they need more light.

The Phal has sunburned leaves. If they aren't rotting, you can leave them alone. They will eventually die off.

The Oncids look good. Just keep doing what you're doing but water them a bit more often.

Jane

o

Thank you Jane. So even the one with the black spots with the white in the center is fine? That looks pretty nasty. :/

The mix is like bark and soil... it seems to retain moisture pretty well, but I still plan on watering a little more frequently.

I was planning on feeding them today, so we'll see what happens. :)

Thank you Jane!

o

Hi Vega. You are doing fine. Can't really see the spots but Oncids do get 'freckles' which is normal for them, (not sure if that's what you are seeing). The newest leaves are nice and light-green which suggests good light.

Good job, keep growing!

Jane

o

If you are talking about the plant potted next to the phal, it looks like it may be a couple of plants, the rosette looking thing to the right appears to be a bromeliad to me? I've seen orchids sold with broms in the same pot in some big box stores and flower shops.

I think the plant in the small green pot is a cattleya, they like lots of light usually.

Good luck,

Bob

o

Thanks Bob and Jane! I will put the guy in the separate pot out in the morning sun for a bit tomorrow.

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 2:18

How do you get those best pink orchids into the USA from the UK?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here