Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants on my Vanda

Posted by norm33625 9b -Tampa (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 20:38

I have a Vanda getting ready to to bloom and have ants running all over the buds. The first thing I thought was, "Are they there to help it open?"(like ants do to help force blooms on peonies). But a second look at these tiny black ants and I think they are a pestilence. Besides soap and water spray does anyone know of a safe way to rid them of my almost ready to bloom purple vanda? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants on my Vanda

Put an ant stake in the basket. The ants bring aphids and mealybugs.

o
RE: Ants on my Vanda

The ants are there because the buds and new growth excrete excess sugar (feel the buds, they will be sticky). You do want to evict them for the reasons that richardol gave, as well as the possibility of transmitting disease (fungal or viral) in their saliva.
A dusting of acephate will also do the trick. I am always reluctant to spray anything wet on buds or flowers.
Regards - Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here