Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjwatson_gw

What's blooming for you - July

cjwatson
11 years ago

Whew! It's sure been a hot and dry summer so far in the Florida Panhandle. We finally got some rain last week, and now at least get a bit of afternoon cloud cover to moderate the temperature. But it's still hot! I know my outdoor orchids are not amused by the weather so far, and I see that many of you all have had even worse weather. But orchids are tough even if the heat and storms wimp us out.

So what's blooming or in bud now for you?

What is so exciting for me is two of my Neofinetia falcatas are in bloom for the first time since I got them.

Comments (11)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Brassidiums,Epicats ,Terete vandas and of course Epidendrums . Was thrilled that the vandas because they are in the vanda bed attached to palms.,spectacular growth but those in the shadehouse way outflowered the beds. so far lol All my Phal transplants to a cassia tree seem to be doing well but no flowers as yet.
    You missed out on the floods?? Heavy rain to the north and south and west of me but I got one decent rain and immediate returned to dry lol gary

• zozzl
    11 years ago

Cattleya hybrida 'Hackneau' AM/AOS

My favorite:)

• cjwatson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

zozzl, that's beautiful! C. hybrida was the very first Cattleya-type hybrid ever made, back in the 1860s.

Gary, the storm system that dumped all that rain on Florida somehow decided to stop about two counties to the east of us; we never got a single drop of rain from it. We did need rain badly, although another system had dropped 17" on us in one day a couple weeks before. The weather has been screwy. But the orchids seem to be happy with it.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

zozzl, the flowers made the painting looked way better and lively!

• James _J
    11 years ago

The flower color matches the painting perfectly, was that planned?

This phrag is a first time bloomer for me. So far it's put out 3 flowers in succession from the same spike.

• ifraser25
    11 years ago

It's 'winter' here in Brazil, though it's hardly cold. July is the best month for Cyms and I have a few very good ones which I'll try and post on the gallery in the next few days. There's an assortment of others and if you look there you'll see a few of them. Dends start mainly next month carrying on into November. Two exceptions are my Dend sulawesiense (glomeratum) which is flowering for the third time in 10 months. This is the only frequent flowering Dend I know, though I'm sure someone else knows of a couple of others. The other is the Australian "Red River". I must post that, though it only flowers once a year, like the majority.

• zozzl
    11 years ago

Very pretty phrag!

My aunt is a painter and that painting is great for photos of orchids as it seems to really bring out the color of any orchid I put in front of it:)

Got lots of plants in sheath right now and hopefully more blooms soon.

• Lars
    11 years ago

I have an oncidium hastilabium blooming, and it has seven spikes. Two days ago my brother and I were watching it beside our TV in the living room, and I could see the flower buds wiggling visibly as the flowers were trying to open. About five flowers opened that night! I have another oncidium with buds that are about to open and also a small phaelonopsis with a new spike. I keep all my orchids outside until they bloom, and then I bring them in to the art studio (which has a skylight) during the day and put them in the living room in the evening.

Lars

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

We're in winter in Australia too. I've had Dendrobium affinis flowering for quite a while plus another Den. that seems to be some sort of bigibbum cross. What's interesting is a Spathoglottis that's flowering now. It's in a pot where I've had a white and a purple growing together for years. They seed prolifically and I just leave them to it. These flowers now seem to be a cross between the two colours.

• ginnibug
    11 years ago

I have Neos blooming for the first time for me as well, very exciting. gb

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    11 years ago

My Encylcia Green Hornet and my Phrag. Colorodo Mission are both in bloom. My Goodaleara Tahitian Dancer is completing its spike so it should be blooming soon.