Posted by Tanie51 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 22:37

Hello friends,

Here is my Miltoniopsis up date.

Tanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miltonia (Miltoniopsis) Continued

They are so beautiful Tanie.Great growing.

Allymarie

o

Thank you!

o

Stunning!

Great growing!
Jane

o

Thanks Jane! You and other Friends on this web helped me a lot with it. Without your advise and especially the octopus lamp. They probably still sitting there without growing anything.

Thank you all.

Tanie

o

Tanie,
How are you growing them actually? I am looking to buy a few and you are doing a fantastic job. Are u keeping them indoors? Window or artificial light? What type of planting medium? Is this one fragrant? It truly is stunning and you should be proud....blu

o

Hi Blu,

Well, I don't know where to start. I think I am luck out, not yet claim anything for my skill because this is my very first year. If it flower again for me next year, then I'll know for sure what I did was right. But since you asked. I'll tell you what I did and still do. First, I follow instructions on-line and advises of the people on this site carefully! I had it indoor in my livingroom under artificial light sine last December becaue my room facing west and barely sun comes through the window in winter. I water it with snow or now is rain water. Fertilized it with M.G. very weak. (1/4 of the what it says on the box) When I bought it, it was too tight for one pot so after it finish flowering. I separated it into another pot with bark and kept the original one in SM. for experiment. They both rebloom for me anyways. Bark is premixed in a bag sold at green house or last year, (none this year) I found it in Walmart. It's "Schultz Orchid Mix". That is all, except for I keep it moist all the time. Now is summer here, I water the one in bark every morning and the one in moss every other day. In winter I watered it 2X a week. Doesn't matter what I do, the new leave still crunching when it coming out. Even some of the buds on the spikes. But the buds eventually straighten themselves out and flowered without defect. So, I don't even worry about accordion leaves any more. I grow for experiment with few different kind of orchids in the same condition. So far, one kind of Oncidium Alliance, ( I have 2 kinds), One other orchid looks like Brassia Rex, and most of my Phal rebloom for me. I am still waiting to see what my dendrobium, Burr. Nellie and one kind of Oncidium don't show any sign of reblooming yet. So, I think, if you can rebloom your phal, you might want to try this Miltoniopsis. Who knows, you might get lucky as I did. If you have any question, just ask. I'll try my best and good luck.

ps. Yes, it has beautiful light fragrance mostly in the morning. In the afternoon, you have to smell the flowers to know there's fragrant but in the morning. When I get to my livingroom, the whole room smell beautiful!

Tanie

o

Hi Tanie,

Thanks for the reply. Being in Tampa, this would definitely be an indoor grower for me. Nothing more satisfying then re-blooming a plant that not many can. I grow for fragrance and just recently started playing with zygos, as I am now pretty much satisfied with my Catt fragrances. I heard these could be very fragrant and the colors are so intriguing. Now I just have to find a reputable nursery that sells Milts. Thanks again!!!!

o

Hi Blu,

Good luck with finding. I found this last year in Safeway but I have been watching since early spring but none. I like to get other colors like white and purple. They sold it last year but I was too afraid to buy. Thought should wait to see if I can rebloom them first. Now nowhere to be found but I'll just wait. You can look for an orchid show to go to. That would be the best chance to find them. There are details such as humidity and all that kind of thing but I can't remember to list it all at once. If you found then and have any question regarding such things, let me know.

Tanie

o

That is one of the most gorgeous plants I have ever seen. Congrats!

o

Thank you Vega-Lyrah!

Tanie

o

What type of bulbs in your "octopus light"? I have many phals, several oncids, a dend and one milt. I live in washington state and am preparing for a long grey period. I know I will need to carry most of my plants with artificial light but have not begun to research what I'll need. I figure one lamp with the many position-able bulbs should be enough but not sure what kind of buld to buy. Thanks! I hope to be able to rebloom my milt also!

o

I use fluorescent bulb in the spiral form. (I can't remember what it called). 5 of them. I have automatic set up to turn it on about 6 am to 8 pm. Good luck!

Tanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here