Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanie51

Is Brassia the name of this orchird?

tanie51
9 years ago

Hello Orchid Friends,

I can't remember I post this picture of this flower last year when I first got it to ask you for the name of this. But here it is, rebloom for me and I want to know for sure so I can write it down in my orchid book.

Thank you,

Comments (10)

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still don't know how to multipost yet.... Here's the whole spray.

Tanie

• arthurm
    9 years ago

It is probably a widely available Mericlone (copy) so maybe someone will recognise it. You cannot even say it is Brassia Unknown because there may be other Genera involved.
    Brassia = Genera Name
    Unknown = Grex Name

This post was edited by arthurm on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 4:17

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Arthur,

I compare this flower with the ones I see in the orchid book I have. The closest I can see is it's patches of brown looks like Brassia Rex but the color looks like Brassidium Kenneth Bivan.I couldn't fine anything look exact. If I can't then oh well, I'll call it Brassia Biran for myself!! (combination of Rex & Bivan......

Tanie

• allymarie
    9 years ago

It's a beauty Tanie.

Allymarie

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Allymarie,

I thought it's too skinny but oh well, orchids do come in different shapes and sizes and colors. So I better enjoy it while it loves me and re-bloom for me.

Tanie

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Do not worry about skinny! It has charm and distinction!
    On to more important matters. Poor old Mr Bivin. Bivan, Biven and its only 5 characters long.....

Many of the images you find on Doctor Google's site have junk names.
    Tanie, i think you are assuming that there is only one
    Brassidium Kenneth Bivin. When every seed that grows from the cross that makes that hybrid will be unique.
    The numbers are against you,100,000 registered hybrids plus the variation in the plants raised from seed.
    What am I talking about????? go to the link scroll down a long way till you find the three different pictures of Tolumnia Alyshia

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid gallery thread

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

When I worked at Santa Barbara Orchid Estate I could swear they had two different clones of Brsdm. Kenneth Bivins - 'Santa Barbara' and another and I think this is the other. Obviously its not ' Santa Barbara'. The hybrid was made there.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

If I get an orchid as a gift or inherited without a name, then I name it the name of the person. Like Den. mobile Luveda. Luveda is a dear old lady that gave me a few orchids without tags. Also when It is gifted to me with a tag I try to remember to put their first name on the tag. It is an added reminder of people I like. On my property I make the rules. If one of my orchid is to be judged I make sure of a proper tag. Be creative. I might called it brassia cross unknown for a tag. To each their own.

Mostly my tags are for me. When I bring them to the show and tell at the meetings, my tags will be seen by others. They remember Luveda...and smile...

• tanie51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your ideas. I will learn from that. Yes Arthur, I saw those orchids in a book I bought last year when I just started it out and I thought those were the kinds..

Tanie

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I have a dendrobium given by a friend who is quite a bombshell (in good terms).
    I gave this unknow purple dend, the name Scarlet O'Hara.

Jane