Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Long Lost Orchid Friend

Posted by OOwl Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 22:54

I had this orchid for many, many years (something like 8-10). Sorry for the bad picture but it's all I could find. When we moved last summer, it spent the subsequent winter (which are generally mild) on our covered back porch. It, unfortunately, did not survive due to inattention and unseasonably cold weather. I tossed it before pulling the tag. (As a side note, 6 other orchids DID survive.) I recall it being identified as some sort of Laelia hybrid. It was purchased from an unknown vendor at our local orchid society show as a seedling. It was not a large plant. It bloomed in my window twice a year, faithfully, one or two blooms, not a lot. It opened vibrant red with "sparkles" on the petals and it grew more dark orange as the bloom aged. Although I'm blessed with many beautiful orchid plants, I find myself missing this one most of all. I'm hoping someone will recognize it enough to help me on my quest to replace it. I have not, thus far, had any success at all.

Thank you in advance. . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Long Lost Orchid Friend

It is probably an Sl. or an Slc. hybrid of which there are thousands, so your chance of getting a name are remote. Especially so, if seedling means a small plant raised from seed rather than a mericlone.
You could get "similar" from large nurseries such as H&R in Hawaii but i imagine to cost of one plant plus freight will be expensive.

o

• Posted by OOwl none (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 23:24

Thank you. I gave up. I ordered one close enough. Hopefully, it will be as easy to care for as the other one I lost. Thanks again.

o

• Posted by OOwl none (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 23:25

Thank you. I gave up. I ordered one close enough. Hopefully, it will be as easy to care for as the other one I lost. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here