Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josemariachavez

Orchid Shop ???

JoseMariaChavez
9 years ago

First of all I'd like to begin saying that I utterly love orchids. They're exotic, colorful, intricate,... I currently reside in the neighbor city to El Paso, Texas: Ciudad Juarez (yes I'm Mexican and proud). My question is: Where could I buy good quality, healthy, not to expensive orchids online that shipped internationally??? If you know none, I have the flexibility to get them shipped to an american address and bring them to my home, but that would be only for last resort.

Thanks for your time...

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Orchids is a HUUUUGE category. You might narrow down the focus to what type you're looking for, between common & easy to difficult and rare. If you're looking to get in touch with a private collector who may sell through the mail, send me an email and will give you a lead. Also, give an idea of what "not too expensive" means to you. Shipping tends to add a lot to the cost of any plant. I've seen some reasonably priced orchids on Ebay, but don't have experience buying them from sellers there. Is it easy to have plants shipped into Mexico from a foreign country? I think here (USA,) it's not.

• JoseMariaChavez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love all of 'em, but what I'm interested in are orchids that haven't been hyrbidized (I like my plants as they are in nature). So, yeah, that's basically what I'm looking for: species orchids. Now, for the rarity of them, anything will do unless I already have them which I don't. As for the price, anything between 30 to 40 dollars will be fine by me (if they are rare enough, I'm willing to pay a bit more)...

As regards to the shipping availability, I've found that most of the exotic plants should be CITES approved for export and go through a phytosanitary "exam", so that tends to elevate the cost a lot. Maybe shipping them to El Paso and picking them up is far easier.

If the private collector you're talking about "fills" the requirements and sells not too expensive, I'd be grateful that you gave me the private collector's you're talking about email.

Again, thanks a lot for the help.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Maybe if you are starting off you could start with some of the species native to Mexico before tackling Cites and Phytosanitary documents.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Example
    {{gwi:187503}}

I'm not suggesting that you go out and collect it from the wild, but surely there are various clones of this beautiful orchid available from local growers.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

RF Orchids has high quality offerings. They do a lot of hybrids but have species too. Top notch quality means it is not the cheapest but I think they will be in your stated price range. Good luck

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Send me an email. (You might consider changing your settings so that you can receive messages from other members.)