Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

What do you think of this list?

jane__ny
9 years ago

Anything look interesting? This guy was a vendor at our OS Show last year I bought a couple of plants and they did well. He's going to be speaking at our next meeting and is offering a discount for preorders. I remember thinking his prices were good at the show and I even got him lower knowing he'd not want to ship them back with him. Tempted by the Aerangis.

Here's an edited version of the email I got.

Alan has been in business since 1978 and has hybridized many wonderful orchids over the years. Alan sent along ordering instructions which will give you a 20% discount on any preorder you place plus free Shipping and Handling when Alan is able to bring the plants with him to the Sept 1st SOS meeting at Selby. Please review the ordering information immediately below. Also, after the ordering information, you will find a list of Limited Availability Gold Country Orchids Alan sent us. Look over the limited availability list below or click on the hot link above and/or near the end of this sentence to view other plants that Gold Country Orchids
has for sale.

Ordering information:

We offer a 20% discount on all preorders and free freight when Alan comes to speak at your event.
Under comments enter the name of your society or event we are to bring your plants.
Often we will send out a limited availability list which also qualifies for the 20% discount and free freight. You can email in your order or call it in. This can be paid for on our Paypal account via our email address at gcorchids@aol.com, with your credit card if you phone in your order or at the meeting with cash or check.
At the present time we are re-building our website and it may be easier to email or phone in your order.

Limited Availability Gold Country Orchids:

Aerangis citrata Great mini with a blue blush on white flowers $15.00
Aerangis fastuosa very vigorous mini $15.00
Aerangis hariotiana �Gold Country� African mini with orange flowers $20.00
Aerangis hyaloids Miniature with small white flowers $18.00
Angraecum didieri Miniature species 2 inch BS $12.50
Ascocentrum ampulaceum Orange form, India 2 inch BS $15.00
Brassavola cuculatta 2 inch BS $15.00
Bulb falcatum v. flava yellow rachis and flower 3 inch BS $35.00
Bulb falcatum �Standing Tall� AM/AOS 3 inch BS $25.00
Bulb falcatum v. velutina �GC� CCE/AOS $25.00
Bulb lasiochillum Yellow form 3 inch BS $15.00
Bulb vaginatum �Joyce� mini medusa 3 inch BS $20.00
Cattleya aclandiae v. coerulea 2 inch $25.00
Cattleya kerrii Miniature species very rare 2 inch NBS $20.00
Cattleya lueddemanniana v. alba 2 inch $12.50
Cattleya lueddemanniana v. coerulea 3 inch $12.50
Ceratocentron fesselii x Tubecentron Niu Girl Orange miniature
Vandaceous BS $15.00
Ctna. Starrlyn Rose and lavender Mini-cat for the home BS $15.00
Christensoniana vietnamica Mini with green flowers 2 inch NBS $15.00
Dendrobium lamyaiae orange miniature $20.00
Dendrobium olygophyllum Miniature species 2 inch BS $12.50
Dendrobium prentecii Miniature on mount BS $20.00
Dendrobium tannii Miniature related to bracteosum BS $12.50
Dendrobium unicum Vietnam form with larger orange flowers $15.00
Dyakia hendersoniana Fragrant mini Vanda 2 inch BS $12.50
Laelia flava Superb cross 2 inch BS $15.00
Laelia harpophylla Great cross out of Brazil 2 inch BS $20.00
Laelia lundii �Laurelwood� Most vigorous mini I have 3 inch BS $20.00
Laelia milleri Sibling cross of the red form 2 inch BS $20.00
Laelia pumila �Big Ben� AM/AOS BS divisions $75.00
Laelia rupestris sibling cross of this pink rupicolous laelia $15.00
Leptotes pohlitinocoi Mini from Brazil with rose flowers in spike $15.00
Meiracyllium trinasutum Mini species with fragrant rose flowers $20.00
Mystacidium brabone Mini African with long lasting white flowers $15.00
Mystacidium capense Mini African species with clouds of flowers BS $12.50
Podangis dactyloceris Sibling cross 4 inch BS $20.00
Pleurothallis grobyi Mini warmth tolerant 2 inch BS $15.00
Pleurothallis leptotifloia �GC� vigorous mini with yellow flowers $15.00
Sobennikoffia robusta African species 4 inch BS $25.00
Zygopetalum Advance Australia �HOF� AM/AOS fragrant mini $25.00

Jane

Comments (7)

• highjack
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jane I can recommend the citrata, hyaloids and dideri although the hyaloids is not my favorite. The blooms are small and thin, see through type bloom.

The Sobennifoffia robusta is in the Agrm family and is another easy for me to grow. I think the Mystacidium are also in the Agrm family but I don't have either of them.

I can also recommend the B. vaginatum. Great plant, small pbulbs and leaves with much smaller hanging flowers like the medusae. This Bulbo is not a stinker.

Does this pic tempt you?

{{gwi:187618}}

Brooke

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Brooke. I'm sorry I didn't post back sooner.

I love that photo. Beautifully grown. Deserve another front cover!

I will put some orders in. I appreciate the feedback as I have no idea if any are worth getting.

Thank you again,
    Jane

• highjack
    9 years ago

Not a problem, sometimes life gets busy.

I did forget to say Koch has a great reputation and has a great program. Enjoy it!

Brooke

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brooke, thanks for the heads up! This was the 'week that was'!

Is that photo of B. vaginatum? How old is it?

Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to add. Fred Clarke, Sunset Valley is speaking at our October meeting. I had plants from Fred way back when he was fooling around with some interesting crosses. I had a few seedlings which never turned into anything.

Looking back on my old notes I remember Dial Silver Toy "Sunset Valley Orchids", Diac, crosses with C. Dubiosa, Dialc....My notes show I had 8 seedlings. I wonder what every happened with all those crosses? I never see Dial or Diac anymore.

I remember some of those blooms were on spikes over 3 feet. Very funny looking plants.

I look forward to this meeting.

Jane

• highjack
    9 years ago

I had it probably 5/6 years when the pic was taken. Yes it is vaginatum and is much showier than the medusae. The blooms are smaller but the whole plant is smaller than the much bigger pbulbs of the medusae.

There is also an orange medusae type that I can't remember the name of but it is the same size and growth habit of the vaginatum.

I "think" they changed the name of the Dial/whatever but I don't remember what it is now.

You should check out Fred's Ctsm family of 'chids. You have the perfect environment for this family. They want to be sopping wet, heavy fertilizer during their grow season and go dormant in the winter. Put them on a shelf in the garage until they break dormancy. I just got 12 of his seedlings. The older I get, the more I love cutting down on my work. I grow all of these sitting in saucers of water.

If he is coming down in October, they will probably be starting to go dormant. Or blooming, his FDK After Dark blooms very late in the year for me.

Brooke

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information.

Jane

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz