Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyleee217

Sharry Baby spike is too tall? what to do?

amyleee217
16 years ago

hi!! my Sharry Baby is spiking for me for the first time. I grow under lights and the spike is so tall that it almost hits the top of my structure. It just keeps getting taller. I don't have a good window to put it by... and I am worried that the flowers will blast if I move it. any suggestions? there are no buds yet, it is just a reallly tall spike.

Amy

Comments (24)

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

My suggestion: sell it.

They say that a Sharry Baby owner only has two happy days, the day they get it, and the day they get rid of it. :)

But if you must keep it, I wouldn't worry about blasting if the buds haven't formed yet. You could also take a length of stiff wire (like a clothes hanger) and use it to guide the spike where you want. Also, once the buds pop out it may start to hang lower on its own.

Mark my words, some day you will sell it and use the money to buy three new orchids that will live in the same space, with room to spare. :)
    -MB

• jamcm
    16 years ago

Oh, for shame, MB!

Amy, congratulations on getting your Sharry Baby to bloom. This can be where feats of acrobatics come in. You can try moving the plant to the outside edge of your lights, so that the spike goes up past it, or you can set it on a bench or table set near the lights, but a bit lower. There are lots of ways, but don't worry too, too much about it. From my experience, once buds have formed on this, they don't often blast unless you forget to water it for 2 or 3 weeks. Please don't ask how I know that ;-)

Good luck and enjoy the fragrance coming your way.

Julie

P.S. Free Sharry Baby to a good, Canadian home...

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Ha - does anyone ever keep them for very long? Amy, why don't you put it outside and let it grow?

• elvinwei
    16 years ago

i can totally sympathize as i also grow under lights and this is the same problem i run into

i agree with the suggestions--i've either moved the plant to the edge and stuck the spike away from the lights, or i have tried to train the spike to go sideways using stakes and ties.
    both have worked for me

i never knew that other people get rid of them
    why would you do that? are you really that tired of them?
    i know they can take up space, but then just split them and keep 1/2
    to me, they are the only oncindium worth keeping
    i got rid of all my brassias and would part with my psychopsis before i let my darling sherry baby go

• amyleee217
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for all the suggestions! i'm going to try them when i have time this weekend. MB, i thought that was what they said about boats? jane, i'm afraid she would cook if i put her outside... been near 100 every day and pretty dry.

this spike seems bigger than the first one was and its the 'red fantasy' variety... i am excited :) i looooove fragrance in orchids, especially this one!!

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

Yes, they do say that about boats as well. But it's more true of Sharry Baby. :)

You'll get tired of the fragrance eventually...especially if you smell an Ang in flower...mmmmmmmm

Why get rid of them? Mainly because they are space hogs. The fragrance gets tiresome eventually. The spikes grow too long and end up dropping the little flowers all over. They always have ugly spotted leaves with ratty blackened ends that often end up pleated if there is any variation in watering while growing. They're hybrids. Other than that, I can't think of a reason. :)
    -MB, the Anglican species-snob

• dottyinduncan
    16 years ago

They also climb out of their pots so it is difficult to water them. Mine is in flower right now with 2 beautiful spikes gracefully arching. First time in a year and a half though! I'm not tired of the fragrance, it's quite subtle.

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

Don't listen to Mr. B. He only keeps those white flowered things, anyway *GRIN* *DUCK*.

Grow what you like is my motto. I also grow under lights and have to move my Odonticidums and Colmanaras to the very side of the light stand.

Sharry Baby doesn't blast easily...at least mine doesn't.

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

Hey! Some Angs have green flowers!!! grrrrr...

I did have one for years until I sold it. That was a happy day. I agree, grow what you like. But also... hear me now, believe me later! :)
    -MB

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

I used to stick it outside in full, Catt sun and it was perfectly happy. Never burned. Just kept growing and growing and growing......

• dottyinduncan
    16 years ago

Thought I would post a pic of my Sharry Baby.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• southernorchidlover
    16 years ago

Dotty,

Your Sharry Baby is gorgeous! I am admiring my little one that has graced me with lovely blooms.

Valencia

• paul_
    16 years ago

scent "subtle"? LOL That varies. Several members of my old os refered to it as "Stinky Baby". : D Some even found it to be so overpowering when transporting theirs to a show in a car that they had to open the car windows ... despite being the dead of winter

Like Breeze, I don't miss mine at all. But Amy back to your question.

You could put two stakes on opposite sides of the pot and try to train the spike into more of an arch. I did that with mine when the spike got too big and had seen it done more than once at a show.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

Oh Dotty I'm in love! MB, I'm about to be a happy Sharry Baby owner, my order is in the mail (happyhappyhappyme), we'll see how long I last (or it does!)! Who knows we maybe a perfect match, I mean hubby is sometimes sweet to stinky, takes alot of room, is spotty with raggidy edges, and (somedays) hard to get to bloom, yet I've had him for years and plan on keeping him:). Dotty how do you grow yours? Grow lights? Bright window? Greenhouse? How old is you plant? I'm with you Amy, the thought of Sharry Baby in spike soon to be bloom! WoooHooo! Please post pics! CJ (taking the plunge:)

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

Aleister Crowley once said, "do what thou wilt, and so let it be". But know this....you have been warned...muahahahahahahaha...

And now I must go find places for the six CUTE new Angs I just got. I will be able to easily fit them in the space of one S. Baby, with room to spare! :)
    -MB

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Dottie that is an AWESOME PHOTO! GORGEOUS!

Tom

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Onc. Sharry Baby is a great orchid, but sooner or later, orchid growers run out of room and then something has to go......
    Space Hogs =
    Standard Cymbidiums
    Onc. Sharry Baby
    Onc. Sydney (have to sell it when the generous person who gave it to me is not looking)
    Phaius tankervilleae
    etc etc.

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

This guy would begin flowering in Nov and continue for months. This was taken in Feb., this year and 'perfumed' the house. I could never stand the smell. I gave it to my OS and it was auctioned.
    {{gwi:187673}}

• orchidflowerchild
    16 years ago

Hah, Arthur! My response to running out of room has always been to build more growing space! At the peak of my obsession, last time, I built a 10' x 20' greenhouse with a single-pitch roof with a 12' peak and a 4' x 10' section designed to grow cool growers in SE Texas (which is to say, it was walled off and built to accomodate a 5,000 BTU window-unit air conditioner). Part of that is that I come from engineers, part of it is that I am a typically stubborn Pollack, and part of it is that I have access to lots of building materials cheap/free.

Honestly, the only limits to anyone's collection should be financial and of course, how much they are willing take care of, in my humble opinion.

But then, I am an admitted hedonist.

-Cj

P.S. My great aunt still has that GH on her property...one day, when I am settled down and have the land for it, I am going to get that CH back, because there is nothing like having a customized-to-your needs greenhouse. Especially a huge one. LOL!

• audreyca
    16 years ago

Oh guys, if you don't know how to handle that tall spike,then chop it off to the length you want!!. If you don't have room for it then throw half away or donate to someone!!You will be thanked for. Ha ha!!

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

Just rec'd my baby in the mail, I'm in love, fully warned, and in love. Jane what a beauty, I'm sure who ever bought it was thrilled. CJ (SE-TX), someday I will have a lovely greenhouse (probably when hubby retires and is bored out of his gourd around the house), hubby will grow veggies on lower shelfs, and potted plants will hang from the ceiling, and it will have a place to sit and enjoy...CJ dreaming in East TX

• orchidflowerchild
    16 years ago

Toadilly: where in east texas are you? I'm in Huntsville, at this point...

-Cj

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

Lake Fork-North of Tyler (THE Rose Captial of the WORLD:) CJ

• mark15
    16 years ago

get rid of sherry baby!!! only as a division and a gift to people I like---mine has a delightful aroma of chocolate---never get sick of that---great grower---what's not to like
    mark