Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropical_philippines

My 'Waling-waling' (Vanda sanderiana) is in spike!

Yes! Finally, after six long months of waiting for rebloom, my 'Waling-waling' (Vanda sanderiana) is finally getting ready to bloom again. The last time it bloomed, it had a splendid display of flowers that lasted almost two months!

It had two spikes with the second spike emerging just after the flowers from the first spike were opening. Hopefully, it will throw out a second spike but I will still be very happy even if it throws out one only.

Here's a recent photo of the spike on my 'vanda sanderiana':

{{gwi:188332}}
I sure hope the buds don't blast. Wish me luck!

(I already killed one of my vanda sanderiana. Story here.)

:) tropical

Comments (40)

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

what a healthy looking vanda!! here's hoping that all goes well for you.
    sue

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Are you actually growing it attached to the tree?? I grow some attached to trees and they grow well but don't flower well. The terete types actually grew through the canopy of the tree and they are almost in constant flower!!
    Have you ever seen any of these types growing wild???
    Would love to see some habitat pix. Good luck with your Vanda. IME they tend to flower in spurts. rather than by season. I've had strap types hold flowers for over 8 weeks !! Of course I have the GREAT disadvantage of "WINTER" lol gary

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Gary,

Yes, I'm actually growing my vanda sanderiana attached to the trunk of my mango tree. In the wild, 'waling-waling' (vanda sanderiana) grows on the branches of tall dipterocarp (rainforest) trees so it does get more sun than when placed below my 'untrimmed' mango tree (very shady). For this reason, I regularly trim the 'east' side and 'west' side branches of my mango tree to expose the vanda to more morning and afternoon sun (so it gets to bloom a lot).

I don't have photos of vanda sanderiana in the wild but here are links to websites which discuss the habitat of this Philippine orchid:

http://www.dipologcity.com/Orchids.htm
    http://www.neda.gov.ph/knowledge-emporium/details1.asp?DataID=260

Here are photos of my other vandas attached to dead tree trunks:
    {{gwi:188334}}
    {{gwi:188336}}
    {{gwi:188340}}

tropical

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Tropical, you are just trying to tease us again. Just sold an Ascocendra that grew in my glasshouse for twelve years or so and never flowered. I told the customer the full story but she insisted on buying the plant.

Do you have tropical lowland conditions where you live or do you have a bit of elevation?

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arthurm,

Oh my! Twelve years? That's too long a wait! I can't imagine waiting that long for any of my orchids to bloom! You should place your ascocenda in full sun without any shading and allow some of its leaves to scorch and burn. Ha! That should teach it a lesson!

Seriously, you can actually do it TO ESTABLISHED VANDAS/ASCOCENDAS which don't bloom or refuse to bloom. As long as they are already mature, very healthy, already well-established and with plenty of roots, they should be able to survive the treatment. Don't forget to water more frequently though. It should bloom within a few months time and if it is already well established with plenty of roots, it shouldn't die. This is the sort of 'torture' I do to my mature vandas which don't bloom. Strangely enough, they do seem to put out a spike or two afterwards. Sure, they will have some burnt leaves (actually 'many' burnt leaves!) but once they adapt to the scorching light levels, the additional burning of leaves seems to slow down and ultimately stop. Try it, if you have nothing or little to lose. It seems this treatment works but you do need to dramatically INCREASE the watering frequency or chances of death will be high (at least in our hot tropical conditions). Fertilize as usual.

Regarding your question, yes, I do live near sea level and don't have any significant elevation. However, most of the vandas and ascocendas I have were actually bought from nurseries located in the mountainous neighboring areas which are cooler and with much higher elevation (about 300 meters above sea level.)

It seems that the vandas in those mountainous areas bloom more (probably because of more sun exposure and moist, dewy mornings). This makes me conclude vandas are actually 'extremely' adaptable to a wide range of temperatures and elevations. They do seem however, less adaptable to light and water levels. They really need lots of sun (just short of burning their leaves or even burning a few leaves if needed) and lots of humidity (or water if humidity is limited).

There is actually a study on the effect of 'elevation' on the 'blooming' characteristics of the 'waling-waling' (vanda sanderiana). Not to tease you or anything, here's a link to the article if you are at all interested and would like to try on the 'challenge'... :)
    http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2007/04/10/AGRI2007041091458.html

tropical

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos... very nice vandas!

• lellie
    15 years ago

I love mounted Vandas but, alas!... I'm afraid the resident squirrels would have a hay-day with'm...*heavy sigh.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Thanks very much for the info. I always suspected they grew through the forest canopy . Explains why they grow straight up. I allowed some terete types to grow through the roof of the shadehouse and they flower almost continuously!! Bad part is I have to get on the roof to view them lol.
    A friend sent me some pix from the Singapore gardens and they were growing them in "hedges" in full blazing sun.
    Think I might try that idea . Convinced that mine don't get enough sun. Thanks again gary

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary,

You are right. Terete and semi-terete types can actually survive full blazing tropical sun without any shading and actually prefer those conditions for continuous blooming.

Here in my place, terete and semi-terete types abound in the mountainous areas and they are widely grown as 'backyard' household plants much like roses. They bloom CONTINUOUSLY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR. Just as soon as the flowers in the current spike age, they throw out another spike or spikes and the cycle is repeated all year round.

However, waling-waling (vanda sanderiana) is a different type of vanda. It is a strap-leaf type that tends to bloom seasonally even in the wild. Blooming season is usually around January to February and again around August to September although there are times when they may be blooming outside of the 'usual' blooming months . I have yet to see a 'Waling-waling' (vanda sanderiana) here that actually blooms ALL YEAR ROUND like the teretes and semi-teretes do. The strap-leaf types also seem to be more sensitive to full sun. Their leaves get easily burned. Maybe I can try it out and see if I can get the strap-leaf types to flower all-year round like the teretes and semi-teretes. (I doubt it though because the influence of vanda sanderiana in their lineage/heredity makes them bloom seasonally.)

Anyway, here are updated photos of my 'waling-waling' (vanda sanderiana) in bloom:

{{gwi:188343}}
    The spike seems to grow fast and you can notice it grow day-by-day.

{{gwi:188346}}
    At this stage, the buds are expected to open (though not fully yet) within the next 24 hours.

{{gwi:188350}}
    This is a photo taken 24 hours after the previous photo. Note that the flower color seems still very light
    and somewhat greenish brown at the lower petals.

{{gwi:188353}}
    This photo was taken another 24 hours later. You can see here that the waling-waling (vanda sanderiana)
    has already attained its full pinkish color and the full mahogany color at the lower petals.
    However, it is still not fully open as the petals are still slightly cupped.
    (They are flat when at the peak of their bloom.)

Here's a 'panoramic view' of my vanda sanderiana in bloom:
    {{gwi:188356}}

Another shot, this time, a 'macro' view of the flower:
    {{gwi:188358}}

And finally, a 'nostalgic' view of my vanda sanderiana captured last night...
    (Makes me just want to stay out at night and behold its beauty and majesty...)
    {{gwi:188360}}

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

Cheers!

tropical

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Stunning! Simply stunning! The flower colors are so beautiful! The combination of the pink and mahogany, along with the speckles, make for an incredibly gorgeous bloom! And the slightly green tips on the bottom only add to its depth of beauty!

Great growing! Thank you for sharing!

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Tropical, great photos of a lovely orchid.

One of the first orchids, i purchased many, many years ago was V. sanderiana. The impetus being a picture in the first orchid book purchased being "orchids for everyone" an excellent British book.

Needless to say the plant lingered on for a while before going to orchid heaven. Why, because i am stingy and cannot afford the bill of maintaining glass-house temps at night of about 20C.

Have to laugh about your idea of putting things out in full sun. All you need is a heat-wave day in summer with temperature 40C+ and the humidity about 10% and they would be toast.

Guess i am stuck with trying to grow some of the more cool tolerant vandaceous.

• counselor4444
    15 years ago

Truly beautiful. I'm very happy that you posted all those pics online. I wish I had an environment to support them, but as I do not right now, i'll live vicariously through you. Please post more pics of our vandas when they come to bloom. I really enjoy looking at them.

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hello, Tropical, i, too, enjoyed your photos: they are wonderful - makes me want to get one!! thank you so much. here in the frozen north, i have a few vandas, also 3 mango seedlings, a papaya seeding and plumeria seedings -have survived their first winter (in the basement).. I love your garden. (sorry to be somewhat off topic - the picture of your garden did it). please do post photos of your other vandas when they are in flower. i have come to the conclusion that vandas and cymbidiums are my favourite favourites. thanks again.
    sue

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    One more question then I'll shut up lol, Is the pic of
    a species or hybrid?? They are grown a lot here in s. florida but are invaribly hybrids, even intergenerics so obviosly culture would vary . I try to follow vendors advice and they grow well and easily for me just don't flower as much as I think the potential should be.
    When you attend sales there are always dozens of them in full glorious flower no matter the time of year and they're growing them in my climate so just need to some tweeking of the culture in my own site. thanks gary

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Gary,

The picture is that of vanda sanderiana species. The 'sanderiana' species actually comes in two main 'flavors' in the wild, the usual pink-mahogany 'vanda sanderiana', and the rarer and more expensive (but not necessarily more gorgeous) 'green' variant, the 'vanda sanderiana alba'. There are many hybrids and 'look-a-likes' of the pink vanda sanderiana which have similar looks/colors/appearances but upon close scrutiny of the colors, form and structure of the flower, petals, and the lip in particular, it would be quite easy to distinguish the 'pure' from the 'hybrid'.

Here's what the owner of the nursery told me on how to detect 'vanda sanderiana' pure-bred species from the 'look-a-like' hybrids: Look at the flower on its side and take a close look at the 'lip' or 'labellum'. If the lip has a spur, then it is a hybrid.
    (See photo below where the 'spur' is encircled with red.)
    {{gwi:188361}}
    A hybrid vanda sanderiana (not a true 'waling-waling')

Photo source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/acullador/1884432932/in/set-72157604102869961/

If the vanda in question doesn't have a 'spur' like that below (my vanda), then it is a species or 'pure bred' vanda sanderiana.
    {{gwi:188362}}

Also, the colors of the hybrids and arrangement of the spots remarkably varies with that of the parent (vanda sanderiana).

For more info about how do detect if you are getting the REAL vanda sanderiana, check out the link below. The link also contains important information on vanda sanderiana's native habitat in the wild (elevation), its seasonal blooming habits (blooms after monsoon rains, not year round) and the sort of hybridizing being done worldwide to produce 'cool tolerant' hybrids of this majestic orchid. Also discussed in the link are the three variants of 'vanda sanderiana':

http://philippineorchids.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/vanda-sanderiana/

Here are a few 'vanda sanderiana' look-a-likes (hybrids) in my garden:
    {{gwi:188363}}
    The one above is a 'yellow' vanda sanderiana hybrid. (Note the presence of a 'spur' at the lip of the rightmost flower.)

{{gwi:188364}}
    This one is a fragrant hybrid of vanda sanderiana. It has a mild sweet vanilla-like fragrance.

---------
    Here are the updated photos of my currently blooming vanda sanderiana. All these photos were taken last night. Note that the flowers have continued to grow bigger in size, deeper in color and flatter in form. The blooms are expected to be at their peak in a few more days. The size is expected to continue to grow bigger a little more until it stops growing. Afterwhich, the flowers will remain unchanged then gradually start to decline.

{{gwi:188365}}
    {{gwi:188366}}
    {{gwi:188367}}
    {{gwi:188369}}

Thanks everyone for your kind comments especially jodik, counselor4444 and Sue. Hope you enjoyed the new photos.

Cheers!

tropical

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I'm running out of descriptive words! It's beyond gorgeous! The other types, the hybrids, are also quite beautiful!

My favorite orchid flowers are the vandas and cymbidiums, too... there's just something about those two types that catch my eye every time I see them! Maybe it's the vast array of colors and forms... I don't really know... but I could spend a lot more time than is considered normal just staring at them!

Great photos! Thanks again for sharing!

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Hi Tropical,

Your orchids are absolutely gorgeous! Ever since it bloomed a few months ago, I had my doubts mine was a real V. sanderiana. (It's labelled as such, with the clone 'Dream City' HCC/AOS.) It might be V. Dream City. I value your comments.

Carol

{{gwi:188371}}

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

What a beauty, Carol! The color and pattern on the petals is gorgeous!

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,

Your vanda hybrid is beautiful! A gorgeous combination of pink and lavender hues. Based on the looks, I think it is an intergeneric hybrid of 'vanda sanderiana', 'vanda coerulea' and probably other genera. 'Vanda sanderiana' most likely imparted those spots at the upper petals and dominant coloration at the lower petals, while 'vanda coerulea' most likely imparted the visible tessellation on the petals. (Tessellation is a dominant trait imparted by vanda coerulea to its progeny.) The vanda coerulea may also have given your vanda 'cool tolerance' considering you are growing it in a very cold zone (zone 3).

Thanks for sharing!

tropical

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Hi Tropical,

Thank you for your comments. You are so right about the species that are very likely in this hybrid. If it's V. Dream City, this hybrid has over 80% V. sanderiana and almost 8% V. coerulea. I will try to contact the vendor.

Actually, the vandaceous grow in a basement greenhouse that was so hot this summer, it stalled the buds on my very faithful blooming V. coerulea. I put it in a cooler place a month ago, but no luck so far.

Jodik, thanks for your comments.

Carol

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

You're welcome, Carol... I find Vandas to be incredibly lovely, in both plant growth habit and flower pattern and color... the variety is amazing!

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Just got an answer to my message re: ID of this vandaceous one from the vendor. Here's the relevant info:

the plants were grown from seed, and the cross was a "selfing" of V. sanderiana 'Dream City'. This means that when 'Dream City' bloomed, it was self-pollinated, and the seedpod that resulted from this self-pollination produced the seed from which these plants were grown.

So the plant you have is V. sanderiana, and the parents are 'Dream City' x self (or 'Dream City' X 'Dream City'). The seedlings themselves do not have cultivar names -- you can certainly give yours a cultivar name if you like. But these plants are not 'Dream City' -- they could only carry that cultivar name if they were genetically identical to that cultivar, either a division or a meristem.

I understand what they're saying, but it still doesn't look like V. sanderiana to me.

Jodik, Vandas, and the various groups that fit into Vandaceous, are beautiful, but I find them to be quite high maintenance, growing them in the north. DH likes them, so that's why I take care of them. I don 't mind, because he doesn't mind my Catt. addiction. :)

Carol

• highjack
    15 years ago

It would be interesting to see other vanda from the same cross and how they bloom out.

Selfing an orchid can pick up two deep recessives and create an entirely different look to the bloom. Assuming the vendor is correct, congratulations you have a very unusual sanderiana.

Brooke

• gardnergal
    15 years ago

Hello Vanda fans,
    Just arrived at this thread; hope it's not too late for Gary and others who wanted to see some Singapore vanda "hedges". I was there and visited some orchid farms, as well as some orchid gardens. Here are some shots.

{{gwi:188372}}

{{gwi:188373}}

{{gwi:188374}}

{{gwi:188375}}

{{gwi:188376}}

{{gwi:188377}}

{{gwi:188379}}

{{gwi:188381}}

{{gwi:188383}}

{{gwi:188385}}

Ann

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hello, Ann, thanks for the photos. how wonderful it must have been to be amongst those beautiful flowers.
    sue

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Very nice photos Ann.

Tropical, I apologize for hi-jacking your post again!

If only I had been more careful in looking for it on orchidwiz, I'd have known that there really is a Vanda sanderiana (HCC/AOS). How strange a Vanda this is,
    but I like it!
    Brooke, I'm more inclined to congratulate the plant than myself :) It must be those recessive genes, as you mentioned.

Tropical, I'm going to take your advice and apply it to a couple of vandaceous ones that are reluctant bloomers. They just sit and luxuriate in high light, loads of roots and healthy leaves...they have been this way for 1-3 years, and are blooming size.

Carol

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice photos, Ann! Those vandas in Singapore must have been grown for the cutflower industry since they are mostly teretes and semi-teretes (known to be profuse and non-stop bloomers.)

Carol,

Any vanda topic is of interest to me so no need to hold back your posts. Actually, I am quite 'intrigued' by your 'unique' vanda sanderiana. :) I've never seen a 'vanda sanderiana' species with a tessellation quite like it. Does it have a 'spur' or not? If it doesn't have a spur (see my previous posts above) then chances are, it really is a 'pure bred' vanda sanderiana.

Otherwise, the nursery from where you bought it got its tags wrong or just maybe, refuse to admit it, for fear you might ask for a refund or worse, demand a replacement at no extra cost! :)

'Vanda sanderiana' is unique from the rest of the vandas because of the absence of a 'spur'. It was for this reason that it was separated from the vandas and given its own genus - 'Euanthe'. However, there is disagreement as to why 'vanda sanderiana' should be separated from the rest of the vanda species just because of the absence of a 'spur'. There has been no complete agreement on this issue and so we are stuck with two different names for the same orchid: 'vanda sanderiana' and its less used synonym, 'euanthe sanderiana'.

Here's a photo of the rare green variety of 'vanda sanderiana':
    {{gwi:188388}}
    Source: http://www.kinseysorchids.com/about.html12.html

Note the absence of a spur as can be seen from the upper leftmost flower. I suspect the absence of a spur is a 'recessive' trait because all hybrids of vanda sanderiana with another vanda (not the same species) tend to always end up with 'spurs'.

tropical

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Tropical,

You are so very helpful, and it really helps to keep my interest in these vandaceous types.

This "Vanda" bloomed in early June this year, and I'm anticipating when/if it does bloom again, I will certainly look to see if it has spurs or not!

My photo is not very clear, but if you look at the bottom right bloom, it does seem to indicate a spur.

I still have my doubts it is a true Vanda sanderiana, as it has tessellation, which I don't think is normal for a sanderiana.

There is actually a Sanderia bybrid, V, Dream City, as I had mentioned, so am wondering if the vendor was in error. I've received 2 refunds from this vendor...once, when I thought a Catt. had a virus, and an other time, when an Aerides which was labelled as houlletiana turned out to be falcata.

Carol

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Great photos, everyone! How wonderful... to be able to grow orchids outdoors all year! Funny how we always want to grow the plant types that require a different climate than we have!

I wouldn't mind the high maintenance for just a few plants. I tend to hover and baby my collections, anyway!

That green variety is just gorgeous! I'm very drawn to plants with green blooms...

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just an update... Here's a photo of my vanda sanderiana 23 days after the first blooms opened... The once gorgeous beauty... is now an ugly beast! I guess you really have to enjoy it while it lasts. Fortunately, this vanda has one of the longest-lasting blooms in the orchid family. Very durable blooms indeed that seems to stay on forever even with the repeated battering of our almost daily monsoon rains.
    {{gwi:188392}}
    Well, until next bloom... I hope it will give me a double spike next time.
    Somehow, seasonal blooming vandas and orchids make me more excited when they throw out a 'spike'...
    I guess it is what makes them 'special'... They're sort of like your Christmas 'fruitcake' which you only get to enjoy during Christmas. :)

Anyway, here's a photo of my sister-in-law's 'aerides odorata' in bloom:
    {{gwi:188395}}
    This one has a 'spicy' scent... Would you believe? She got bored and tired of caring for this orchid just a few months after attaching it to her jackfruit tree and so this orchid has since NEVER received any water or fertilizer--- yet it repeatedly blooms for her year after year with only mother nature watering and fertilizing it! Talk about 'green' thumb... :)

{{gwi:188398}}
    This aerides orchid is over 6 years old. Vandas in general are like this orchid. Once very well established with 'monstrous' and extensive root systems (5+ years old), vandas and vanda-like orchids can survive without any care or attention. They bloom repeatedly... Just tie them to a tree and presto! repeat blooms year in and year out.

Until next time...

tropical

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

If it were only that easy in my climate... there wouldn't be a bare tree anywhere! They're gorgeous!

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Hi Tropical,

Thanks for posting your gorgeous orchids. Your SIL's Aerides is a beauty-I'd be coddling that one for sure, as I'm especially attracted to fragrant orchids!

Unlike Christmas fruitcake which only happens once a year, I hope you will be posting more often! :0

Carol

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,

Indeed, I am like Christmas fruitcake here at the orchid forum as I have been busy with my roses and other plants lately. Anyway, check out this thread for recent photos of my semi-terete vandas in bloom.

tropical

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Hi tropical,

It's good to have you back. I often don't post for awhile, only to restart and then with a vengeance. :)

I'm in paradise, looking at your beautiful plants. I think the teret and semi-terete leaved vandas are particularly attractive, even when out of bloom, especially when they're growing so well for you, and don't look like palm trees (like a few of them here).:)

Next to orchids, roses are my fave plant, and we used to actually bury the whole plants before winter to protect them! Now I just grow the ones that need no special treatment, which leaves the choice very limited.

Carol

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Oh darn.. just looked in... I had posted another reply right after the last one, but guess the send button didn't work. :P

No offence intended...I had meant my vandas, some of which have a tendency to look like palm trees.

Carol

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,

Here are some recent photos of my orchids.
    Hope you enjoy! :)

{{gwi:188401}}
    This fragrant dancing lady bloomed for me last January 2009. The fragrance is really strong in the morning but it seems to be gone in the afternoon. At first I thought it was only fragrant once it opens. I was wrong. It was fragrant EACH and EVERY morning and NO FRAGRANCE at all each and every afternoon for a long time until the flowers wilted and dropped. Pretty strange until I observed that some of my fragrant vandas do the same! Fragrant in the morning, no fragrance in the afternoon. I'd appreciate it if anyone here can explain why it is so with fragrant oncidiums and vandas. :)

{{gwi:188403}}
    One of my vanda hybrids which has currently rebloomed. This photo was taken this morning. Unlike terete and semi-terete vandas, hybrids of vanda sanderiana like this red-orange one, tend to bloom seasonally so I can't afford to cut them off and put them in the vase. These season blooming strap leaf hybrids are like Christmas fruitcake for me. I enjoy them while they last as it will take some time before they bloom again. :)

tropical

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Hi tropical,

Beautiful orchids as always! Is it Onc. lanceanum? I know it's fragrant... not much else, expect I love this one, but it doesn't seem to reciprocate my feelings. :(

I've noticed this in a few of my vandaceous ones-fragrant in the mornings...I've forgotten the names...V. denisoniana is "supposed" to be fragrant in the evenings, and my original one was, but the one I have now is fragrant in the day.

According to some experts, fragrance is unleashed at certain times to accommodate pollinators...wish they'd accommodate me sometimes. :)

Carol

• newbyphil
    12 years ago

I hope this message isn't too late... How is ur waling-waling doing? I hope you can give me tips in growing vandas and other vandaceous hybrids. I'd also like to own a waling myself, but maybe I would have to try other vandas first... Can you give me a good source of strap leaf vandas with affordable price?
    Thanks and God bless! :)

• bandraman
    12 years ago

Can you please et me know the name of the red-orange flower vanda that you posted on May 9,2009? Thanks. Your orchids are awesome!