Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coelogyne flaccida bloom spike

Posted by leeflea 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 4:55

This is one of my Coelogyne flaccidas which I've had outside since it warmed up. This one sent up a couple bloom spikes about 3 weeks ago. Since I've never grown a Coelogyne of any kind before, I'm wondering how long does it usually take for it to bloom? I might be just getting impatient but it seems a pretty long time to remain tightly closed.
Might someone venture a guess?
Thank you,
Leeflea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coelogyne flaccida bloom spike

Coelogyne flaccida blooms in spring from pendant spikes and is quick to flower once the spikes start to develop.
Here is a picture of an in-bloom plant, maybe your plant tag is incorrect?
Coelogyne flaccida

o

Thank you Arthrum for taking the time to write and post the pic. Yours is lovely and I wouldn't be surprised if, indeed, my label is wrong. When mine blooms, I'll post and get your opinion, if you don't mind, as to which one I have.
Leeflea.

o

Thank you Arthrum for taking the time to write and post the pic. Yours is lovely and I wouldn't be surprised if, indeed, my label is wrong. When mine blooms, I'll post and get your opinion, if you don't mind, as to which one I have.
Leeflea.

o

That is gorgeous. I think I want a Coelogyne flaccida now.

o

LOL. I hope so. The Miltassia leaves and Coelogyne leave, to me, look alike so who knows what's blooming. Leave it up to me to lose or misplace the labels. I'll con't to update y'all.
Leeflea.

o

Greencurls, I suppose I'm most excited about the bloom spike that is rapidly growing on my Psychopsis papilio 'Lace'. After killing two by repotting I had just about given up and they don't come cheap. Living on a fixed income prohibits me from getting some I'd really like.
I started out with Catts. and moved on to others but mainly I stick to catts and their alliance due to the environmental conditions in this room. I'd love to get some phals. but I can't get the temp. drop to initiate bloom. After 15yrs of growing orchids, I am surprised by the size of the roots on the rhyncostylis. They are huge and comeing through the slats in the box. . Leeflea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here