Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nommarune1121

mounting orchids

nommarune
9 years ago

I am just getting in to orchids. I had 6 a few years ago and were doing great till I moved. Once at my new place they started dying. When I finally figured out it was the water where I had moved too it was too late. I have moved again and now have artisian well for water, so they should love it.

This time I was considering mounting vs. potting. That's where my questions come in.

Are all orchids able to be mounted?

If not which is better for the ones that can be mounted. Is mounting or potting better for blooming and care?

What are some good starter mounting orchids?

And last, I know there are plants that are " hanging" where if you put them in a hanger with moss they will grow downward and flower at the bottom. Which orchids will do this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ps. Im near St. Marys Georgia so if anyone knows of an orchid club or good local place to buy from let me know!!

Comments (8)

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

My suggestion is to check the orchids needs on the web before potting or mounting. Some only do good mounted or in baskets, bare root, others do better potted. Without knowing what orchids you are talking about it's hard to say. As for ones that bloom out the bottom all I know of are Stanhopeas, which are wonderful orchids to grow. Also, look on the web for orchids societies in GA that are close to you. Here's a site to start your hunt.

https://www.google.com/search?q=orchids+society+in+GA&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

• garlicgrower
    9 years ago

Hello -
    I have very good results with a mounted Laelia anceps. Seem anything with it in the breeding does well mounted or in a freely draining basket. On the other hand, I also have Laelia gouldiana which I started out on a mount. It seemed to be quite unhappy so I switched to a slotted clay pot and it is doing quite well and flowers every fall. It seems to want slightly moister conditions.
    **Sometimes you just have to experiment.**

Rhyncolaelia digbyana and it hybrids seem to do best on a mount too, as well as Brassvola nodosa species and hybrids.

I agree with the above post to check on-line for the native conditions a plant has evolved in and then try to mimic those conditions. Sometimes studying the on-line images of the plants you are interested in will give you clues to how it is being grown. (If they show the whole plant)
    Visit a botanic garden where you can observe their specimens and the media, and ask questions of the staff if they are around.

Join an orchid society if you can or go to a show where the orchid growers would just love to tell you all about how they grow their plants. At some of our shows a beginner asking questions is often surrounded by experienced growers showering information!

Good luck!
    Maryanne

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!!
    I will check around. I know in my local state lady slippers (which I really like a lot) are a native. So I am definitely going to get some of them and try them outdoors for a while and see what happens. I have checked for local orchid societies and the nearest I can find is 5 hours away in Atlanta... which is awful.

I really appreciate all the input so far and will definitely have more questions along the way.

I know this isn't the place to say this, but I did make a post on the exchange where Im looking to buy any orchids the experienced ones think I should start with so please check that out as well.

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

There is an orchid society in Jacksonville and according to google would be a 40-45 minute drive. Meetings are second Tuesday of every month and they have an annual orchid show in March.

www.jaxorchidsociety.org

Orchids that hang down are Coelogyne, Cycnoches, and many others but I think what you are specifically looking for are stanhopeas. Stanhopeas are wonderful and many are fragrant but the flowers last no more than a week.

Orchids that grow best mounted are ones that absolutely must dry out between waterings. Can all epiphytic orchids be grown on a mount? Probably but some would have to be watered so often that it becomes unworkable and besides having a bunch of mounted orchids limits the number of plants one can grow. Most orchids just grow better in a pot and the reason is pot culture enables you to recreate that high level of humidity around the roots that they receive in nature.

Which ever situation (pot or mounted) is best for the plant is best for flower production.

Maryanne is right about Laelia anceps, it is probably the best starter mounted orchid and you can keep it outdoors all year. It tolerates lots of sun and rain in summer and temps into the 20's (when acclimated) in winter. As long as it stays outdoors from summer through winter it will handle a hard frost. They tend to bloom in late fall to early winter and are commonly sold at orchid shows or online.

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

There are are 3 types of orchids. Terrestrials, lithophytes and epiphytes. Except for the terrestrials all of them can be mounted. Some require a big wad of moss others just cling to the branch. Cattleyas and Encyclias are probably the easiest to start with

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I mount some of my orchids. Then I have a cigarette! Just kidding. I mount them on cork and I jam some sphagnum in the cracks and mount the plant on or below the sphagnum position. For me the easiest is hybrids with brassavola. But that may be a local thing. Finding a local society can be very valuable. At least for the first year the drive to Jacksonville will be worth it. Good luck!

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

My mistake, Cycnoches do not bloom from the base of the plant but they do hang down, just not what you were looking for.

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

10-4 thanks again. I did a search and couldn't find one in Jacksonville. I appreciate you finding that for me. I will check all those out. Thanks again!!