Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janartmuse

How long do phal blooms last?

janartmuse
9 years ago

My sister swears a phalaenopsis I gave her over a year ago (Aug 2, 2013) has had the same flowers on it the entire year, which are now finally dropping off. Is this even possible? I've seen them go 6, 7 months but a year? Anyone know if this can be so? It DID have buds on it at the time. Still. Rather amazing. Would love to know (not that I will argue with her, just curious) Thanks, Janine

Comments (5)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Probably they're more buds opened since...but then again, it's like 'how long does a loaf of bread last?'...well it depends on how many people are eating it...after all.

• rgebczynski
    9 years ago

I had my two phals last since beginning of December and still were going strong and stood in water for a month after I cut them off.

• philpet
    9 years ago

I have had a phalaenopsis bloomed for eighteen months and finally removed the spike even though it still had new buds coming at the end of the spike, what actually happen is each time a totally set of buds open and were near spent, it sent out new buds towards the end of the spike so it continued blooming BUT with different flowers opening. This resulted in a very long spike that had to be supported by two different stakes. Velleta

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Janine, some Phalaenopsis are sequential bloomers and in theory they could bloom for years as one did for one of the great ladies of orchid growing here. We will call here Betty.
    She was the Champion orchid grower of her local orchid society and to win that trophy year after year every point was precious. So she would bench this plant every month to get one benching point.
    Hardly a thing of beauty with a long straggly flowering stem with scars where past blooms had been and a tuft of dispirited flowers at the end.

I have taken the same Phalaenopsis to several Monthly meeting and after about three months I have said thank you Phalaenopsis and cut the spike off.

The orchid show season is in full swing here and no doubt one Phalaenopsis enthuasist has started showing his beautiful collection at the various shows and after about six shows covering about three months he will go SNIP and cut all the blooms off at the base.

• janartmuse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't think to ask her how many scars there are on the spike. It had loads of buds when I gave it to her, so I suppose this is entirely possible. Pretty amazing. When you think about it, $12.99 for an orchid that's going to bloom for over a year sure beats a little less for a bouquet of cut flowers that's going to last a couple weeks at best!