Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

wall of flowers update

A late August view. The wall constantly changes. A few have permanent spots on the wall due to root wrap and a den that refuses to stop blooming. Otherwise they rotate and go front and center in bloom and then moved to a growing area without blooms.

Comments (11)

• nommarune
    9 years ago

That's awesome!! I really wonder if I could leave mine out all the time.... What do you do for the ones that are permenantly outside during the few cold days you have. I'm about 2 hours north east of where you are if I'm thinking right.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You must live in the ocean. Just kidding. But I'm as east as you can get. You must be north of me in zone 8b and more than 2 hours. At least 3 and could be more so I would say you can not leave them out as long as I do. I am ready to heat them all with an exception of about 5 plants in 45 minutes on the first occasion of temps below 50. About 15 or 20 must fend for themselves in the trees. I would lose them in the most severe winter. 1 in 5 or 10 years. In zone 8b might be 1 in 2 years. Regardless the short answer is no you can't. Probably.

If you had nothing but terete vandas you just might make it. They are the most durable plant against severe temps that I know. Mine tolerate upper 90's in the afternoon hottest sun. And because they can't be moved due to size they have tolerated mid 20's. They made it through 3 hurricanes including a 6 month stint under debris from a hurricane. All occasions un scathed.

I think better than me is Homestead and the best in the US is Key west for all year plants outside...

The game changer for where I live is the gulfstream. It keeps us warmer in the winter than other places at this latitude.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 6:27

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Love, love your wall of flowers.What's the yellow orchid with red center at the right?

Allymarie

Original Author
    9 years ago

That is BC Mickey's freckles.

• saldut
    9 years ago

Do your orchids get full sun out there? I have some Vanda's I'm moving off my porch out to a rack in the yard that gets full sun after abt. 1 PM--- I'd like to move the Dens out there also to free up some space, but am worried it might be too much sun, the Phallies will stay on the porch, bright light but no direct sun.... am not sure what to do abt. the rest of the orchids, will have to read up more and maybe put a few out there and see what happens.... sally

Original Author
    9 years ago

The wall of orchids gets morning sun. And that is filtered at least 10% by the screen enclosure. The afternoon sun is the hottest. Mine get bright shade in the afternoon. Most of the wall plants live in a shade house when not in bloom or cold outside and that has a 50% sun filtered roof with screen sides. And that has isinglass curtains that roll down and zip together to manage the colder days of winter.

My terete vandas will tolerate afternoon sun without screens. They need a lot of water for that exposure. All else around here this time of year would fry...
    But I have a few getting the west afternoon sun inside the screen enclosure. The 10% makes a difference and those are selected plants that get a lot of water.

Original Author
    9 years ago

updated wall shots..

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of buds...off the wall...

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous! Do they have a fragrance?

Original Author
    9 years ago

just eye candy, no smell.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Quite beautiful. Lush wall envy.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living