Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saturn1956

All roots no flowers yet

saturn1956
9 years ago

Orchid has roots growing from everywhere but no flowers yet. Will these roots up high root themselves in the dirt?

Comments (10)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

All roots, keikis and no flowers on a soft-cane/ nobile type Dendrobium indicate some problems with your culture.
    Are you following some culture notes written for zone 6 USA?

• saturn1956
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It an inside plant in a 4" pot filtered sun planted with orchid Miracle gro potting soil. Don't know what I am missing it has been growing sprouting new canes all over but that is about it.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

So what are the temperatures like inside during winter in your growing area?
    You have to copy the dry season in the Southern Himalaya where the ancestors grew/grow. That is sunny, reduced moisture, cool nights, warmer days.
    The few that I have are outside in a shade-house while the few Phalaenopsis I have are inside. The conditions for the Nobile type Dens are Death for Phalaenopsis.
    Past threads might give you some clues re. treatment in places which have a real winter.
    Too much warmth, fertiliser and moisture at the wrong time of year results in Keikis rather than flowers.

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Exactly. From Thanksgiving to Valentine Day give no water, keep out of moist foggy conditions, bright light, cool nights down to freezing is OK and then resume normal care when new growth appears in Feb. If that does not work move it close to a garbage can to threaten it.

I give 'Orchids 101' talks at our orchid shows and usually borrow a Nobile Dendrobium in full gorgeous bloom from one of the vendors. I show it to the newbies and then tell them that if they buy one of these, spend a lot of time with it, photograph and love it a lot as they'll never see it in bloom again. It does poorly in our area, despite following instructions to the letter, at most I get a few lackluster flowers, never what you see in the markets and at shows. These full blooms come from Hawaii.

By the way I also show them a Miltoniopsis in full glorious bloom and tell them the same thing, only difference is that the Dendrobium will survive (unbloomed of course) and keep your hopes alive while the Miltoniopsis at least does the owner the courtesy to die and make room for the next one.

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I grow and bloom them. For us in South Florida they are not to difficult. A little different. But easy to bloom. I stop everything October 1st. They are outside and get rain. I will give them water after a week or 10 days of no rain. No feed until the first sign of buds. About late February to early March. Then water and feed back to normal.

They are sensitive and will make keiki's like crazy when given water and feed during the holdback period. You still get some keiki's even if you hold back feed and water.

The schedule of events above are for me at my house. Where you live will be different. But same concept.

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 12:51

• arthurm
    9 years ago

The OP lives in what i assume to be the frozen north....zone 6
    Where I live the micro-climate is zone 10 and where the gardener who grew the plant in the pic. lives is near the AWS where i have put the data in the link. (July = January
    in the Northern Hemisphere) Maybe the zone there is 9.
    Note the minimum temperatures and the prevailing wind from the west across an arid Continent. Note also the total rainfall 13.6 mm, not much.
    Sorry that everything is metric.

{{gwi:189409}}
    I only have a couple of these and have found that they do better outside than in an unheated glass-house. They must be a real problem to grow in places with real winters where the emphasis is warming things up with central heating. Where do you find a spot to emulate ideal growing conditions?

Here is a link that might be useful: AWS Data July

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

Oh, I love the above photo! I also am laughing at the comments about threatening the dendrobium with the garbage can, and that miltoniopsis have the courtesy to die! (hope not, I have one) I've never done well with dendrobiums, so steer clear of them. EXCEPT little dendrobium kingianum, which multiplies and blooms so profuesey I could use it as a groundcover here in Berkeley (just might, at that). It blooms heavily and makes LOTS of keikis, and I am now overrun. I keep them outside on my front porch.

i also should register my climate zone here in the forum. I fear I don't know much about forums like this, and probably should look at profiles, climate zones, etc. Any of you in the San Francisco Bay Area are welcome to divisions of my Australian dendrobium. I actually had to throw some away recently, as I just didn't have the space! Horror!

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I will consider a trade or if you are getting rid of them I'll pay the postage. Thanks.

• msmarion
    9 years ago

I believe you plant is over potted. Dens like tight shoes and don't like their roots disturbed. I grow Nobiles in plastic pots with tightly packed spagnum and lots of Nutricote in full sun.
    Your plant is putting out Keikis which you can remove when they are a little larger. I agree no flowers and many keikis indicate a culture problem.
    I'd repot and give your plant more light.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Strange that the OP has not replied. The nub of the matter is getting the plant cool enough in Winter. Not a problem in places with pathetic winters like here with cool nights and many days with sunshine......I suspect a different matter entirely in places where it snows and night temps outside are below freezing. That lovely centrally heated home will not provide the "resting" conditions the plant needs.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville