Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long between blooms?

Posted by Ala9815 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 14:04

Hi everyone. I'm a relatively new orchid owner and have a question about how frequently to expect blooms from my phal. It's a pico bahama phal that I got this past September (2013). It was blooming when I bought it and bloomed through January, I think. The garden center where I bought it said to cut off the stalk down to the body of the plant when it became brown and shrivelly with no flowers, so I did. It's very happy with adequate phal light, some orchid food, a big enough pot, and very happy new leaves and roots. But, I haven't seen any signs of new stalks at all. The orchid food is per the garden center's suggestion for flower growth. Should I be concerned? What should I do to promote stalk and flower growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long between blooms?

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 14:10

Phals start spikes about October here...with cooling weather.

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 16:27

Yes, most Phals initiate new flowering spikes with the onset of slightly cooler weather. The full name of your orchid is Phalaenopsis Brother Pico Bahama.
To get better help you need to tell the posters where you live. temps. etc etc

o

If everything else seems right (new roots, growth and good color) your hybrid phal needs a 15-20 degree temp drop between day and night for 2-6 weeks to induce spikes. If you grow indoors, try sitting it by an open window once the nights start getting cooler than your house temps to give it the nighttime temp drops.

Good luck,

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here