Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is going on here

Posted by boothbay 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 19:12

Sick Phal photo P8100030Mobile_zps223abeb4.jpg

A couple of leaves are in bad shape and don't know what is causing it. I have other Phal's and they are healthy, but not this one. I stopped fertilizing and completely ran fresh water through it to see if it could stop getting worse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is going on here

Sunburn? Try moving it away from the window until it recovers. The new leaves look OK. It could be the clay pot got hot in the sun so the only leaf which got burned was the one in direct contact. I had a paph leaf get burned just last weekend. I'd left the house for the day and had the blinds open. It got much hotter than I'd expected. Luckily the buds were still pretty deep in the crowns of the plant and are fine. Phew!

o

In plants it's called leaf senesence. That means in our terms the leaf has gotten to old and the plant is taking the energy from the old or damaged leaves and is giving it to the new growth.

o

The plant is getting better. The dying leaf's size is what a healthy leaf should be. The next leaf is very small indicating the plant took a major hit. The next leaf is twice as big indicating the plant is improving. The new leaf will tell you how well you are doing. It should be significantly bigger than the previous one. All new leaves should be bigger than the previous ones until it's back to it's normal size.

Nick

o

NICK, I just cut off those 2 unsightly leaves...I didn't like looking at it in that condition and possibly, if i left them in, they may influence the other leaves in a bad way.

o

A suggestion - your plant appears very over-potted. It should be put in a smaller pot. I also don't like the look of the mix. The plant appears very dry.

I would repot in a smaller pot and water more frequently.

Jane

o

As long as the leaves have any green on them, they produce energy for the plant. I would have left them on there, eventually they would have fallen off by themselves.

Nick

o

A suggestion - your plant appears very over-potted. It should be put in a smaller pot. I also don't like the look of the mix. The plant appears very dry.

I would repot in a smaller pot and water more frequently.

Jane>>>

Its in a 4" inch pot and the soil comes from a Bag made for Orchids only. It seems to have only one good root though. Are you suggesting that I should put it into a 2/ 1/2 pot? May I ask what purpose does that serve? There are those who don't even use a pot and just have them hanging on a large piece of branch, so how does the size of pot initiate more root growth? I know that theory works with ordinary plants.

o

For phals the general consensus is that too large of a pot causes the media to break down and stay wet, then the plant has its roots too wet for too long. Too wet for too long means death to roots and ultimately to the plant. Mounted plants have the ability to dry very quickly, thus why some people like them, especially if they can water them freely on a regular basis.

FYI: Nick's current thread about using Orchiata bark and over-sized pots standing in water are for water loving plants.

Good luck,

Bob

o

You have given little information on your growing conditions...what State are you in, what is the light exposure, temps? Are you growing this plant inside or outdoors?

The plant appears in bad shape. It looks like the pot is oversized and it is planted too low. The mix looks very dry.

If you Google Phalaenopsis, you will find a lot of information on how to grow this plant.

I would repot into a smaller pot because a large pot holds too much moisture. These plants like warmth, bright light and water. But their roots should almost dry out between waterings.

Please give more information on where this plant is growing and we can help you further.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Phalaenopsis

o

New York state, bright north light outside in patio shaded area. I will move it into a 2 1/2" pot then.

o

Wow, zone 7 is NY? I lived my entire life in NY and it was always zone 5-6. Guess things have warmed up.

Yes, I would suggest repotting and moving the plant higher in the pot so you get air flow around the root area. It looks too low in the pot. If you can get some sphagnum moss, mix a little in the bark. This will help hold some moisture around the roots, especially in winter where the air is very dry.

Jane

o

Thanks Jane,,,well as far as I can see on the Zone map, I am in Zone 7. Haven't you heard of Global warming? LOL I will mix some sphagnum moss among the roots.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:38

Most of NY is zones 4-6. Zone 7 is the coastal regions like Long Island and Westchester county.

o

The plant is putting out new growth, so maybe should be left alone for a while. I'd be afraid of stressing it again with repotting. Maybe just water a little more often (a good sluicing over a sink, rather than with a watering can)? or use a spray mister? You probably should not have removed the still green burned leaf, as it was providing nutrients, even in old age. Oh well. Good luck!

o

Most of NY is zones 4-6. Zone 7 is the coastal regions like Long Island and Westchester county.>>>

I know I said NY state, I should have mentioned the city...Brooklyn which is adjacent to Long Island. The Map I saw included the entire 5 borough's of NYC and it saids Zone 7, and for years I have been using that Zone for references with no problems in any of my plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here