Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
major_orchid_rehab

Massive Neglected Collection

Hi there,

I'm looking for everyone's thoughts about how to proceed. I am an apartment orchid grower myself - mostly oncidiums, dendrobiums, and cattleyas.

I've agreed to help a local gardener with their neglected collection. There are about 50-60 orchids - mostly cattleyas, dendrobiums, oncidiums, a few maxilarias, and a few coelogynes.

The collection experienced a freeze over the winter, so there is quite a bit of cold damage (and from the looks of my initial inspection, some fungal and viral infections too). The orchids are sitting outside and are not regularly watered, fertilized or repotted. Many of the orchids are gigantic - 25+ pseudobulbs - however most of the bulbs/canes are spent or rotted away. The roots are completely dry and paper-y from lack of water.

The only supplies the grower has are fine-medium grade bark, sphagnum moss and terracotta pots. I've begun repotting some of the viable plants and some back bulbs, hoping for new growth.

Given the species listed above, how well will these guys do outside and in bark and terracotta? Any other ideas on how I can save some of these plants?

I'll try to get some pictures on my next visit.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance!

Comments (4)