Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrscucch

My first Orchid

mrscucch
16 years ago

Hello,

I was given a beautiful Orchid at a wedding last week and as I have never grown them before (always wanted to) I want to do this right. The tag says its a Newberry Parfait Picotee... I looked those up on the web for ideas on how to care for it but I am afraid the temperature outside at the wedding might have hurt it and I dont know what to do. It was so muggy and miserably hot at the wedding and the orchids were brought under the tent from cars through pouring rain. One of the stakes seems to have its blossoms wilting, the other seems fine. the leaves are dark green and shiney but a bit floppy... and its planted in that light tan funky moss stuff.

I just dont know what window to put it in, how often to water it or how wet to really get it.

What can I do to help it settle in here and be sucessful at orchid growing? Id love to add to this until I have a nice collection but I dont want to invest in any until I see how I do with this one ya know?

Comments (7)

• arthurm
    16 years ago

There are lots of Complete culture notes to be found on the net. I think the full name of your orchid is Doritaenopsis Newberry Parfait 'Picotee' . If this is correct just find notes for Phalaenopsis because culture is the same.
    Try and find culture notes that relate to the part of the world where you live.

You can also read the numerous past posts on Phalaenopsis found by by putting
    Phalaenopsis in the search box at the top of the discussions page.

Good luck with your first orchid.

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Welcome mrscucch! Listen to what Arthur said, and also include 'phal' in your search. You may lose a few flowers to the rain, but your plant will be fine. There's *tons* of info here at the forum if you search for phal.

Take your time to read, and stick around :) It's a nice place to hang out.

• toyo2960
    16 years ago

Congratulations on your first orchid. Yes, it's basically a Phalaenopsis. They are fairly easy orchids to grow. Phalies like good light (not as much as say a cattleya) but I've found that to grow and flower well, a south facing window is good. Place the plant on a humidity tray (a shallow tray filled with an inch of water) with a grid over it so the plant doesn't sit in the water. When watering the plant, don't get water in the crown (where all the leaves meet) which can cause crown rot. The plant might have been heat stressed, so it might seem floppy right now. If this persists, you may have to tap the plant out of the pot and check the roots to see if they've gone bad. The moss may have decomposed. You can repot in fresh sphagnum moss or in an orchid mix (usually a mixture of fir bar, peat, perlite and charcoal). But go to the AOS site and look up Phalaenopsis culture for more info. Phalies like to be kept evenly moist but not sopping wet.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Toyo, yesterday at about noon.
    Humidity outside 35%
    Humidity inside.
    On top of 600litre heated, aerated tropical fish tank 42%
    Same room about 10 feet away 42%
    Next room on the kitchen windowsill 42%

Logic tells us that "Humidty Trays" should work but they really do not.
    Now those readings of 42% are really surprising especially since none of the windows or doors are open, but those are the sort of readings i get in winter when the arid westerly winds are blowing.

The Phalaenopsis grow and bloom. I cannot say that they are the best looking Phalaenopsis ever seen, but i have had moderate success with no trays , no misting, and watering once a week in winter.

I suppose the best solution if you live somewhere really cold and you are heating dry cold winter air is to install some sort of house humidifier.

• orchid126
    16 years ago

Phals like to be almost, but not quite dry before they get watered again. The moss the plant is in holds water and fertilizer for a very long time, so it's easy to overwater. Get a shishkabob skewer and trim it down. Keep it in the moss and the next time you go to water take it out and test it against your cheek, lip, or the back of your hand. If it's wet, don't water. If it's dry or nearly dry, water. After a while you'll get the hang of watering.

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

I've given up on humidity during winter in NY. I'm lucky to get 20%. They all do fine. I use the trays as drip trays. Packing the plants close together raises the humidity better than the trays.

• mrscucch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow !!! What a lot of responses, you guys are great!
    I was going to move my orchid to a South window like I read but that room has a gas fireplace which gets used in the winter and I have read they really react poorly to gas in the air... so now I dont know where to put it. I wanted it down where folks could see it but the only other south windows are my bedroom and my husband works nights and sleeps days so there is no light in that room at all...
    My best room really is the one with the cathedral ceiling... it has big picture windows which have blinds if I need to get some light away and two skylights... but temperatures can be pretty hot in the summer and a bit chilly in the winter and its the east side of the house so I guess its not the best room for this plant... all my other large plants love it in there.

I am definitely loosing one of the spikes, its just drooping and all the blossoms but one are starting to curl... so sad. Right now it is in that moss in a clear bucket with holes in the bottom and then that was in a terra cotta planter with one hole in the bottom middle. I watered it just a little two days ago and it feels a little damp but not wet at all so I think that part is ok.... I can see some of the roots with the clear pot, they dont look bad to me. Think I should transplant it into something better before putting it in a tray? I am thinking its already in shock a bit and a transplant would make matters worse. I live in Massachusetts... its been humid and so very very hot lately. I doubt I will have humidity issues until the winter. Like I said, the night of the wedding, it went from someone's a/c in the car, through pouring rain to the tables under a tent that was so humid, we were all suffering... then to our car in a/c and then to my house...
    So if I loose that one spike... I will credit to all it went through.

I cant wait to get my hands on more of these. I have always wanted them but to be honest, found them to be a tad expensive. If you guys know a trusted source to get them from, let me know. But first I have to find a safe haven for them in the house somewhere...

I like the ones that look like a leopard pattern on them too...

I am not sure I understand why only one of the spikes are dying off... they are both in the same pot, from the same plant

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus