Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nommarune1121

Picked up my first new orchid

nommarune
9 years ago

Got this Phal. On clearance for 10 bucks had three more but decided to start with one.

Comments (11)

• jimbo0108
    9 years ago

That is how I got started in orchids was buying drab clearance phals and bringing them back to life. Now I have going on 20 or so and a few different kind of orchid species and still expanding. It's a great hobby.

• philpet
    9 years ago

Congratulations, welcome to a wonderful hobby.now to get you started, seeing that's it's finished blooming I would remove the plant from its pot to check on its roots (orchids are all about roots) healthy roots mean healthy plant.what do they look like? Green and firm equals healthy, brown soft and mushy, not healthy.if healthy you can repot in a bark base mix. If not too healthy remove the unhealthy roots with a CLEAN sterile instrument.repot in a bark base mix, you also need to remove the spikes so it will concentrate it's energy on new root growth.water let's say once per week or when the mix is dry. I use clear pots this way I can see the roots without disturbing the plant.this also let's me see when to water or not.you want to keep it in a indirect light location.NO DIRECT SUN.and no fertiliser until new root is evident, oh and be careful with the watering, just enough to keep it slightly moist not WET. Ok good luck.Velleta

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

Congrats on your new orchid! Lowe's is selling some really healthy ones in bloom for 6.98. Probably for only Labor Day. I've never seen them sell orchids so cheap. Beware of the ice cube method because it can do more harm than good. Most stores don't care for the orchids that they sell and sadly the health declines and the flowers drop off. If the plant in general is healthy, cut back to the first node and get another spike on it to enjoy the plant's second bloom. I've actually had an orchid in bloom for a year, and it is at very healthy. I usually leave my spikes on until they turn brown. (As long as the plant is healthy) Right now one of them is producing Kiekies (baby orchids) on the old flower spike.

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome!! Well I put it out on the porch when I got home today. My house is north facing and it's on the east corner of the front porch I'm in a wooded area but my front yard does get bright. So I will probably bring it in in the morning so no risk of burning. I checked the area for light and it had about 250 fc of light at 6:45pm. Trying to find a good spot to get around 1000 fc of light.

I bought a bromeliad at the same time and I put it in the location where the orchid is. After a few hours the bromeliad leave were lifted and looked very happy. I'm assuming that would mean the orchid would like it as well.

Only other plant I have in the same area would be my hibiscus. The mid afternoon sun is a little much for it. Hence why I'm worried the orchid will get to much light while I'm at work.

I basically live in the middle of swamps so humidity is very good outside.

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update! Confirmed lowes has phals for 6.98 in amazing shape. Picked up a den. Burana pearl for 6 bucks too.

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roots of one

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roots of next one

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can the dend. Be split? Looks like its growing a second plant.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Dendrobiums are not like Phals - they grow these canes close to the previous year's growth. There are no strict rules here, but many people divide no earlier than when you get to 6 growths or so - so that there are at least 3 canes on each of the plants. I think they look better, both in flower and not, if they are relatively bushy, maybe even more than 3 canes. If you separate them into singles, you may set them back, and they may skip a year flowering. New growths rely on those old pseudobulbs for nutrients, also. So, keep them together.

• tiarella
    9 years ago

Phals also need a drop in temp 15 - 20 degrees F and they don't tolerate temps below to develop blooming spikes. You can also force rebloom by cutting booming spike (after flowers are gone) just above one of the nodes on the spike however doing this more than once will literally cause the plant to bloom itself to death! Give it a break and let it renew energy by cutting the spike back as far as you can and with luck you will get an offset and a chance for 2 plants to bloom!

• nommarune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks on the dend info.
    I;m hesitant to cut my spike on my phal. haha dunno why tho.

The one with no flowers is getting a wrinkle to the leaves so I may pull it out of the pot and check the roots since its in a terra cotta pot with sphag. the other two are in wood chips which i think i like more because i can see the condensation in the clear pot. makes knowing when to water easy.