Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange fragrance

Posted by janartmuse (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 23:07

Hi, I logged onto the orchid forum as I have a real mystery here. I have a plant I think is likely a miltoniopsis. It was a rescue from a plant service, and had (and has) no flowers on it. The plant itself is fragrant. It is a nice scent, but I am completely mystified. If I sniff the pot (slits) I don't smell it in the soil, but I do smell it if i sniff the plant. The fragrance is getting stronger. I can smell it now from about 2' away. Is there a simple explantation? It is very strange. It is actively growing right now and I watered it yesterday. Is there anything that might have been triggered by watering? It is a sweet smell and rather pleasant. There is moss growing on the surface of the soil. I've had the plant long enough that it can't be residual perfume from the former owner. Am i nuts? Do the plants ever smell when they are not blooming?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange fragrance

I do have a miltoniopsis but the fragrant comes from flowers. Not from the plant leaves or pot. Fragrant comes in the morning and fades in the afternoon. Every day. I hope someone will be able to tell you more.

Tanie

o

Never mind--I read this originally when it was first posted, but didn't recall all of the details when coming back to post. :)

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 1:20

o

Well, it continues to be a mystery. Is it possible the grower sprayed perfume on the plant and I am only now noticing? That seems really hard to believe. I have an oncidium in bloom right now, in another room, and thought maybe the nectar (?) that drips from the stems might be fragrant, and perhaps the miltoniopsis formed this and it too dripped into the crown when it was in bloom, but the oncidium nectar seems to have no fragrance at all, though the flowers are quite heady. There isn't some known variety that has fragrant foliage? I am trying to think what on earth could be causing this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here