Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Adventures in flasking - updates (warning photo heavy)

xmpraedicta
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember a bunch of flasks I made way back in March, 08. I plated a few species of seed, but only two species made it through. Barkeria spectabilis, which I deflasked a few months ago, and a truckload of Laelia lucasiana...I replated september 08

{{gwi:193119}}

They've been sitting a few inches from some T8s for a while. I didn't get around to deflasking them, and noticed a few weeks ago that they were sorely in need of deflasking. Anyway, I got my courage together today and finally set forth with my fresh sphag and plastic pots to deflask the suckers.

I took photos of the process in case anyone is curious to know what happens - it's only my second time doing this though, so only time will tell if things work out.

{{gwi:193123}}
Six stuffed replate flasks

{{gwi:193126}}
{{gwi:193128}}
Most of the seedlings are still nice and happy but some are showing signs of nutrient deficiency or some sort of other problem. The agar has reduced significantly in size.

{{gwi:193130}}
I had to smash the flasks apart with a hammer. Luckily, with a quick tip and shake, the entire agar blob slipped out.

{{gwi:193132}}
Washing the agar off in my big red bowl...

{{gwi:193134}}
Okay so I am NEVER going to make six flasks again. The next time I replate, I'm going to throw away all those little protocorms and just replate the biggest, fattest ones. No more feeling sorry for the runty ones!

{{gwi:193136}}
{{gwi:193138}}
As you can see, some of the seedlings are actually pretty big with multiple growths already. Others are tiny little things

{{gwi:193140}}
All potted up - I soaked the sphagnum in a weak fertilizer solution. Basically I'm loosely following the procedure on the troy meyers website.

{{gwi:193142}}
...and of course, I couldn't give up on the tiny guys, so the majority of them I potted up together in a 2" pot. I also potted up the three largest seedlings in their own 2" pot.

In case anyone is wondering what this plant looks like, it's a really cute little rupicolous laelia species (IOSPE link)...which actually makes me a little anxious seeing them all compotted up in sphag. Any ideas?

I'll keep you all updated!

The photo stream

-Calvin

Comments (15)

• sakeofsilence
    14 years ago

Think H2O2...

• terrysealey
    14 years ago

Calvin, thanks for the update and the pics. I am at the '4 weeks after re-plate' stage with my first sowing & just seeing miniature leaves forming. Yours look good.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

"No more feeling sorry for the runty ones!" - Calvin you heartless beast!!! Everyone deserves a chance at life. (snicker)

When I saw the pic of all the babies laid out on the newspaper, I had to laugh. What a job planting all those and just think of all the little individual pots in your near future. I sure hope you have a plan for selling some of your future kids.

Phenomenal job though. I'm happy you posted an update.

Kevin

• whitecat8
    14 years ago

Calvin - those are some healthy-looking plants... and lots of'em! The flasking/way delayed gratification thing hasn't grabbed me yet, but you seem to have it down.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for checking in, guys! I'm armed with my h202, in case anything nasty rears it's head.

Terry - what do you have growing up? Be sure to post pics :)

Kevin - that was exactly what I was thinking when I threw the smallest of the little guys into the insinkerator last night...cry. I just wish I were in the states so I could send some of you these seedlings...maybe on my next trip to NYC...(I mean, I started these darn things from seed, so no moral ethical dilemma there). Let me know if anyone interested!
    WC - delayed gratification is an understatement! But you can bet I'm going to bust out the champagne when the first one flowers. I'm only flasking things I *really* want and can't find from now on.

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Looking good! That's a lot of babies. I checked out your link, and you're right, it is a really cute plant. As for how they'll do in sphag, it's only a temporary situation. I'd say don't keep the sphag too wet, and separate them out to their 'grown up' medium of choice when they get big enough. I don't know when that is, exactly, not being super familiar with the type, but I'm thinking you have a better idea of that than me. If you weren't over the border, I'd trade you some of my modestas for some of these guys : (

• cldheath44
    14 years ago

Nice pictures, Calvin! Very interesting too. I've never seen deflasking pictures before......thanks for posting them!

Christine

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Calvin, I admire your enthusiam in this endeavor. I wish you great success!

I just acquired my first Laelia lucasiana less than two weeks ago, the old-fashioned way. I imported from Brasil! It's a mature, FS plant.

Regards,

--Stitz--

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

Calvin

If you do go to NYC and can ship the things, LMK. I'll pay whatever price you want - well not ANY price, but I'm sure we can work something out. Seriously - really - I will pay cash.

Kevin

• littlem_2007
    14 years ago

hello, Calvin, what a great job you did! and thank you for all the detailed pictures. hope you will bring some to SOOS to sell.
    sue

• terrysealey
    14 years ago

Calvin,The Pod parent is Cattleya Mari's Song and the pollen parent is Cattleya Chian-Tzy Regalia 'Stunner'. I pollinated the flower on 04/05/08 and harvested the seeds about 15/05/09 so it took over a year for the first part of this project! I would put up pics but my head hurts through trying to follow the instructions here. Other forums are so much easier!!!

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for lookin, everyone. Kevin - noted! I'll pm you when I finalize plans.
    Sue - do you go to SOOS meetings? I'll definitely bring some once they get a bit larger!
    Terry - Wow you've gone one step beyond me and made your own hybrid! I'm hoping to do this one day when I feel inspired and motivated...I can barely imagine what you'll feel like when your first seedling blooms!

• sweetcicely
    14 years ago

Calvin wrote:
    "The next time I replate, I'm going to throw away all those little protocorms and just replate the biggest, fattest ones. No more feeling sorry for the runty ones!"

"...and of course, I couldn't give up on the tiny guys,..."

:))) You sound like a new papa. They are Very cute, all perky and healthy and green in their little pots. Good for you! And thank you for all the interesting process pictures!

Sc

• littlem_2007
    14 years ago

hello, Calvin, i try to go to as many SOOS meetings as I can. unfortunately, for the last couple of years, i had to miss all the spring ones and i have a feeling i will have to miss the next one too. I really find them informative and fun.
    sue

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Wow, oh, wow! I am so impressed. What a patient, painstaking process but oh, so fun for us to enjoy the fruits of your labor. GRRRREAT job!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz