Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adventures in flasking - updates (warning photo heavy)

Posted by calvin_orchidlover 6a Toronto (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 0:07

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember a bunch of flasks I made way back in March, 08. I plated a few species of seed, but only two species made it through. Barkeria spectabilis, which I deflasked a few months ago, and a truckload of Laelia lucasiana...I replated september 08

They've been sitting a few inches from some T8s for a while. I didn't get around to deflasking them, and noticed a few weeks ago that they were sorely in need of deflasking. Anyway, I got my courage together today and finally set forth with my fresh sphag and plastic pots to deflask the suckers.

I took photos of the process in case anyone is curious to know what happens - it's only my second time doing this though, so only time will tell if things work out.

Six stuffed replate flasks

Most of the seedlings are still nice and happy but some are showing signs of nutrient deficiency or some sort of other problem. The agar has reduced significantly in size.

I had to smash the flasks apart with a hammer. Luckily, with a quick tip and shake, the entire agar blob slipped out.

Washing the agar off in my big red bowl...

Okay so I am NEVER going to make six flasks again. The next time I replate, I'm going to throw away all those little protocorms and just replate the biggest, fattest ones. No more feeling sorry for the runty ones!

As you can see, some of the seedlings are actually pretty big with multiple growths already. Others are tiny little things

All potted up - I soaked the sphagnum in a weak fertilizer solution. Basically I'm loosely following the procedure on the troy meyers website.

...and of course, I couldn't give up on the tiny guys, so the majority of them I potted up together in a 2" pot. I also potted up the three largest seedlings in their own 2" pot.

In case anyone is wondering what this plant looks like, it's a really cute little rupicolous laelia species (IOSPE link)...which actually makes me a little anxious seeing them all compotted up in sphag. Any ideas?

I'll keep you all updated!
The photo stream

-Calvin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adventures in flasking - updates (warning photo heavy)

Think H2O2...

o

Calvin, thanks for the update and the pics. I am at the '4 weeks after re-plate' stage with my first sowing & just seeing miniature leaves forming. Yours look good.

o

"No more feeling sorry for the runty ones!" - Calvin you heartless beast!!! Everyone deserves a chance at life. (snicker)

When I saw the pic of all the babies laid out on the newspaper, I had to laugh. What a job planting all those and just think of all the little individual pots in your near future. I sure hope you have a plan for selling some of your future kids.

Phenomenal job though. I'm happy you posted an update.

Kevin

o

Calvin - those are some healthy-looking plants... and lots of'em! The flasking/way delayed gratification thing hasn't grabbed me yet, but you seem to have it down.

o

Thanks for checking in, guys! I'm armed with my h202, in case anything nasty rears it's head.

Terry - what do you have growing up? Be sure to post pics :)

Kevin - that was exactly what I was thinking when I threw the smallest of the little guys into the insinkerator last night...cry. I just wish I were in the states so I could send some of you these seedlings...maybe on my next trip to NYC...(I mean, I started these darn things from seed, so no moral ethical dilemma there). Let me know if anyone interested!
WC - delayed gratification is an understatement! But you can bet I'm going to bust out the champagne when the first one flowers. I'm only flasking things I *really* want and can't find from now on.

o

Looking good! That's a lot of babies. I checked out your link, and you're right, it is a really cute plant. As for how they'll do in sphag, it's only a temporary situation. I'd say don't keep the sphag too wet, and separate them out to their 'grown up' medium of choice when they get big enough. I don't know when that is, exactly, not being super familiar with the type, but I'm thinking you have a better idea of that than me. If you weren't over the border, I'd trade you some of my modestas for some of these guys : (

o

Nice pictures, Calvin! Very interesting too. I've never seen deflasking pictures before......thanks for posting them!

Christine

o

Calvin, I admire your enthusiam in this endeavor. I wish you great success!

I just acquired my first Laelia lucasiana less than two weeks ago, the old-fashioned way. I imported from Brasil! It's a mature, FS plant.

Regards,

--Stitz--

o

Calvin

If you do go to NYC and can ship the things, LMK. I'll pay whatever price you want - well not ANY price, but I'm sure we can work something out. Seriously - really - I will pay cash.

Kevin

o

hello, Calvin, what a great job you did! and thank you for all the detailed pictures. hope you will bring some to SOOS to sell.
sue

o

Calvin,The Pod parent is Cattleya Mari's Song and the pollen parent is Cattleya Chian-Tzy Regalia 'Stunner'. I pollinated the flower on 04/05/08 and harvested the seeds about 15/05/09 so it took over a year for the first part of this project! I would put up pics but my head hurts through trying to follow the instructions here. Other forums are so much easier!!!

o

Thanks for lookin, everyone. Kevin - noted! I'll pm you when I finalize plans.
Sue - do you go to SOOS meetings? I'll definitely bring some once they get a bit larger!
Terry - Wow you've gone one step beyond me and made your own hybrid! I'm hoping to do this one day when I feel inspired and motivated...I can barely imagine what you'll feel like when your first seedling blooms!

o

Calvin wrote:
"The next time I replate, I'm going to throw away all those little protocorms and just replate the biggest, fattest ones. No more feeling sorry for the runty ones!"

"...and of course, I couldn't give up on the tiny guys,..."

:))) You sound like a new papa. They are Very cute, all perky and healthy and green in their little pots. Good for you! And thank you for all the interesting process pictures!

Sc

o

hello, Calvin, i try to go to as many SOOS meetings as I can. unfortunately, for the last couple of years, i had to miss all the spring ones and i have a feeling i will have to miss the next one too. I really find them informative and fun.
sue

o

Wow, oh, wow! I am so impressed. What a patient, painstaking process but oh, so fun for us to enjoy the fruits of your labor. GRRRREAT job!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here