Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie in need of help

Posted by inlovewithhoyas massachussetts z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 0:30

Hello everyone,

I'm new in the forum. I had a den (no id tag, bought @ HD) which was white with pink center. It kinda dried up, but it had a baby. I took it and cleaned up the roots and potted the baby in a 2" plastic pot with the orchid mix I usually use for my orchids ( miracle grow orchid mix). I went to check up on it and when I pulled it gently to see if it was grasping on the mix, the whole thing came out. It was mushy, but the roots were white and they seem to be growing. I also have a phal ( no id on this on either, bought it @ stop and shop) and it seems to be doing fine, putting blossoms for me. I am going to get another den ( my apologies I can't spell the whole name without looking at it), but can someone give me any suggestions on how to grow it? I would not mind growing it til' it gets big. Please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance for all the help...

Nae boston =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie in need of help

You have to tell the readers what sort of Dendrobium you are talking about because culture varies according to type.
Google Phalaenanthe Dendrobiums and Nobile Dendrobiums and select images to see the type or tell us what is on the plant label.

o

If you got it at HD then hard cane Dendrobium hybrid is a good guess. These are watered completely different from the Phals and need a LOT more light than Phals.

To water a Den, run water through all parts of the pot for 30 seconds, then let it dry. If it is a little dry, don't water, wait another day or two.

o

Arthurm I got the label and it says dendrobium pink baby, that is what is writen there with not much information. I will look up images for the phal on google.

Richardol thanks for the watering information. I am going to pickup another one today I will take pictures of this one.

Nae boston

o

If the name is Den. Baby Pink rather than Den. Pink Baby it is a Phalaenanthe or Phal Type Den with the ancestors coming from Northern Australia. Culture as Riichard said. Watm conditions, good light and less water in winter.

o

Arthur,
Thank you so much. Here are the pics I had promised to post.

white phal
white Phalaepnosis

My phalaepnosis orchid

dendrobium

Den. Hybrid smaller purple flowers
Den. Hybrid purple flower ( small)

Dendrobium hybrid Purple flowers

And this one I repot it and keep under some light.

My reported dendrobium

nae boston

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here