Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeli_

Yellowing leaves on Phal

lauraeli_
9 years ago

So. I have this phal which has been clinging to life for a while. It had only one root. It grew a leaf, and two new roots which died when I potted it up. Well, mostly. It is down to one root again, which is rather unhealthy.

Question is about this leaf yellowing that is going on. The phal got knocked over and fell to the ground. Two of the leaves were damaged, but they were the bottom leaves, and not good leaves anyway so i didnt care that the phal decided to drop them.

A week or so later, the phal got knocked over AGAIN. Darn this rotten luck. Well, it did not seem damaged. I potted it back up and moved it to a new spot- under the grow light, with two other phals which grow amazingly like weeds. The next day, this healthy leaf started to yellow from the middle.

The leaf appears otherwise undamaged and fine, and the crown is fine, and the base of the phal was fine with no rot. Matter of fact I noticed a little bump where a new root is likely to start growing. The leaf was not particularly shriveled or dehydrated. Furthermore, the yellowing is starting from the middle of the leaf, not the base or the tip.

Whats going on with it? Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

How strong is the grow light? Could the leaf be burned? Or burned from where it was before? If it happened under the grow light, maybe move it out to the edge where it is less intense.

The plant does not look very good. Is it in spaghnum, or is that just a top dressing? Does the pot drain ok? It could be rotting, though i agree the yellow pattern is odd. My guess is the light is too intense. Janine

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has been declining very slowly for 4 months now. Starting with root rot at purchase time.

I have about ten phals, all doing well, except this one.

Some of my phals are in just bark, one is in sphagnum, and a few, like this one, are in 50/50. I grow well in both mediums.

The grow light is just one grolux tube. I have three minis growing under it, two of which have been there since purchase, and one which was recently moved there. None of them had trouble with light intensity.

These phals grow more quickly than my other phals. The fast growth rate is the reason I moved this one off the windowsill and under the light.

The yellow is spreading on the leaf, and resembles the leaves that were shed prior. I can only assume now that it has decided to drop the leaf.

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

Changing it to orchid bark for phalaenopsis might help. It looks bad, but I've had orchids on the brink of death come back. It is probably stressed from being knocked over. I also read in a book that you can actually make false roots out of wire until it grows new ones. Send me a email and I will be able to tell you which book it's in. Sometimes orchids just die anyway no matter what you do to save it.

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one did not do well in bark.

The roots were attacked by some kind of mold or fungus after being potted up in sphagnum. After killing the mold I switched to bark. The roots then turned blackish at the base and died slowly. They looked scarred and shriveled. At the moment it may or may not have an inch of functional root left.

I have found the 50/50 mix very forgiving for small/sick phals.

Wire roots are not going to be useful in this particular situation.

It is nice to hear you have had success in rescuing sick phals. I havent thrown this one away because I keep expecting it to turn around.

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

If the phal has no functional roots left it would be worth a shot. All it needs is a functional root to help it out a little. Sounds like you're dealing with root and base rot that has gotten worse. I know you said it was starting to rot when you bought it. Hopefully it will get better for you. I've had a couple of rotten phals before. Most of them didn't make it. :(

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

It does have one green leaf, so instead of messing with it more, (and shocking it) just wait and see. You might dust rootone on the plant base where you can reach it. I had a couple come to me in bad shape, rotten roots, etc (in spaghnum) and repotted in bark and dusted with rootone. All four now have new roots coming and are going to survive, i think. I also misted them a couple times a day to keep them happier. In my case the leaves were shriveled, not yellow. Janine

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The 'wire roots' are for stability in the pot, which can help a phals roots grow. But it wont encourage root growth where there isnt any, and it wont help the plant absorb water.

I will probably just give it minimum care and leave it alone, as that seems to encourage root growth better than being fussed over. It is in a good spot for growth now. They really love the grow light.

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, the initial rot was taken care of a while back, so all it needs to do is regrow. It had two new roots which died, but they were not mushy or brown. They shriveled because they did not like being buried in the medium.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?