Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_ca

How big can a Phalaenopsis get?

bamboo_ca
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

My question is:

How big can a phal get?

I have seven phals in my tiny but growing collection. One of my phals in particular grows significantly faster than the others. It is also now very large by comparison (larger than all the others combined). I have been to several orchid shows now and I haven't yet seen a phal quite as large. I don't know which variety it is since I got it at Home Depot almost 18 months ago, however its blooms are large and white with a touch of yellow in their center. It has 12 leaves, which are also very large (most are almost a foot long and four inches wide).

I've noticed with my other phals that they like to take a rest after blooming. I've also noticed they typically don't put out new leaves and roots while the flower spike is nearing completion or while they are in bloom. My big phal however grows continuously, putting out new leaves and roots at almost the same rate year-round, regardless of whether or not the plant is flowering. The bloom spike is also large however the blooms only last a couple of months after they open and drop quickly. Sadly, the plant blooms only once a year (so far anyway). To a newbie like myself this seems unusual, but is it? What varieties get this large?

Thanks

Chad

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Art of Landscape
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Award Winning Landscape Artist & Designer for Larger DC Metro Area