Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 new orchids, I don't understand what to do.

Posted by glasny california (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 2:43

Bought these 3 new orchids today at a local trader joes, these are mini orchids, oncidium without a name tag, another oncidium as well, and a cattleya. All 3 looked great in store, when I got home to repot them into bark medium from the moss they were in I realized that the moss was really dry. Orchid roots were also very dried and appear to be dead. I placed them into bark medium mix with some charcoal and perlite. I also watered them and fertilized with 20-20-20 fertilizer, and added superthrive (hormone with vitamin mix).

any suggestions on what I could do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 new orchids, I don't understand what to do.

this one also has something on the leafs, I assume it's residue from water.. not sure.

o

here is the cattleya, it had same root problem. all are currently in bloom.

o

Going from the top you have a Brassia, an Oncidium Intergeneric (mixed Oncidum Genera Types and a Cluster Cattleya Type (more than 5 flowers in a bunch and probably mixed Cattleya type Genera).
The white stuff on the leaves might be be fertiliser or fungicide or Insecticide, clean it off using milk if it bothers you.
As for culture, depends where you are and the micro climate you can provide for the orchids. Tell us where you are in California and more help will be provided.

o

los angeles valley area, yes its hot and dry here, I am running a humidifier in the room, there is also AC temperature is around 25-30 degrees C. Humidity at 35-40 percent.

o

If you really want to grow them indoors and grow them well, they need some direct, filtered sun. Mist the top of the pot every morning just to the point where water begins to run down into the pot.

Next April, put them outside under filtered afternoon sun (some direct morning sun is OK). Increase watering to the point during summer where you are watering every day when it is at least 95F. Purchase a cheap misting system with a filter and run it during the hottest days (90F+).

o

I have a humidifier running in the room and I also moist the top of medium every other day. they are under day light lamp 60 watt, for about 10 hours a day. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here