Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mtssa x Milt blooming question

Posted by karen451 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 8:36

I have a large Mtssa Aztec vs Milt regnelli cross that was in bloom when I got it 2 years ago. However, it hasnt bloomed since. It is in a bright east-facing window in Washington DC. Other orchids in the same area that have bloomed reliably for me include Hawkinsara (Koolau Sunset), Burrageara Nelly Iser and Brassidium Wild Warrior Chieftain. So I am guessing that light levels are not the problem. The plant is growing vigorously in Leca and I fertilize with Dyna-Grow using the manufacturers recommended dilutions as for the my other orchids. Room temperature is ~68-72˚C although the temperature on the window sill reaches 85˚C during the day in summer. Could it be that the winter night time temperatures are not low enough?

Help!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mtssa x Milt blooming question

Your orchid cross has been registered as Bratonia (Miltassia) Stephenses' Love Blooms. Bratonia replaces Miltassia in the great renaming of orchid names.

Sorry, I have no idea why it refuses to flower in your conditions, especially so when you have flowered a Brassidium. I say this because for some people Brassia just grow beautiful leaves and never flower.

o

That's funny. I have a NOID brassia that has horrible looking leaves because it never has gotten watered often enough, but it never fails to put out one or two spikes a year. The leaves are crinkled and spotted--ugly! The miltassias (or whatever name they are now) are both spiking and looking good, although with the same crinkled leaves. I try to water them twice a week but sometimes forget. Shame on me.

o

Well, yes my son has one that experiences absolute total neglect and it flowers every year. That is almost no shade, no repotting, no nuthin, spose it flowers because death is just around the corner. Annual temperature range low 40's F to one or two days 100F

A mystery, other growers bring presentable plants to orchid society meetings with lovely flowers and foliage.

I wish the RHS would ban punctuation on orchid names. Having the apostrophe just causes confusion. It is the right place above, not my typo.
Bratonia has replaced Miltassia in this instance , not every time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here