Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

Hydroton medium

crueltyfre
14 years ago

I have to say that I positively, absolutely, love this stuff! I was down at a bromeliad growers the other week and they had a bag of it for $6 so I picked it up. I can't rave enough about it.

First off, it's heavy, so no need to clip or tie plants in pots anymore, the weight of this stuff holds them secure. Secondly, it doesn't float, so when dunking/soaking, it stays in the pot not in the water. And thirdly, it's prettier and cleaner than bark, moss, etc. if you bring your plants inside (which I do), no little pieces of bark or charcoal on the floor, no moss drying up and falling out, etc. Plus they say it never degrades so no need to renew it..how much is that going to save me over the years?!

It is round, so one dropped on the floor will have kittens playing for hours...which is a positive, so much fun to watch kittens play.

I love it so much so that yesterday I repotted as many as I good with this stuff till I had none left. Goodbye bark, charcoal and fern.

Is anyone else using it?

Lori

Comments (15)

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Most use it for it's wicking abilities in semi-hydro. I personally find that it dries out a bit too fast if not in a semi-hydro setting...I'm dunking constantly. That said, I do throw it into large loose mixes that I make for dendrobiums along with large CHC chunks, charcoal and bark.

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Will someone please help me to understand the differences among these various products? Thanks,

Hydroton
    Aliflor
    Prime Agra

--Stitz--

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stitz-this is from Jim's Orchid Supplies---
    We have switched from Aliflor to Hydroton. Hydroton and Aliflor are both expanded clay pellets. The Hydroton is more uniform in size and has much less powder. It is a superior product.

And here's the link to someone else's comparison.
    Lori

ok...I tried to post the link but GW stopped me. So let's try this sneak around. Here's the link in two parts, put them together.

http://www.firs
    trays.com/PrimeAgra/compare.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: jims comparison

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Thank you, Lori. My limited experience with these products? I purchased Aliflor ~ 2 yrs ago. I didn't have any problem with powder. I purchased PrimeAgra in 2008. No problems. I use them side-by-side. Same results. Good!

GardenWeb needs to E-X-P-A-N-D ! There is no reason to continue this idiotic ban of Mr Ray unless, of course, someone is suffering from paranoia. In that case, it makes perfect sense!

--Stitz--

• terpguy
    14 years ago

I use hydroton and Prime Agra for my S/H. Haven't really noticed a difference, but I love it too.

Lori, just because its heavy doesn't mean you won't have to use clips or stakes. Unsteady, unestablished plants could still flop around a bit. I'm currently having to stake a Nobile Dendrobium while it tries to establish itself in S/H. Normally its not a problem, but if you get plants that are taller/top heavy or lean, you might still have to stake or clip.

Calvin, thats some expensive filler! It'd be cheaper to use charcoal which does the same thing, don't you think? And more beneficial since it actually helps remove some bad stuff from the water and mix. What got you started using it as part of your regular mix?

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    I've been using a crushed form of black lava rock, Costs 4 bucks for 2 cubic feet. I grow most of my Catts on tree fern but I'm going to move a couple over to see what happens . Have been very pleased with the Phals,Brassidiums ,Dends so far. gary

• ttkidd
    14 years ago

I use hydroton for all my s/h plants. As Calvin said though, it dries out too fast for me to use it as I would bark or moss. I've also noticed that even in s/h the roots can have a difficult time establishing unless the top of the medium is kept moist...the root tips seem to turn brown if I don't. I just stick the plant in my terrarium until new roots have grown down into the hydroton. I've also heard people say that they just put down a layer of sphag on top of the clay.

Tyler

• jowben1
    14 years ago

May I ask, why the ban on First Rays ???

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Its a remnant from...gosh, almost 10 years ago? The old proprietor of this site, Spike, thought Ray (the nursery owner) was spamming the forum and banned him and the mentioning of his company on this website. There were quite a few quality, informative sites that were banned. I'm kinda disappointed the bannings held over once ivillage took over.

Just to test, heres one that was also banned: www.ladyslipper.com

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Hm, it worked...whoda thunk...

• jowben1
    14 years ago

I was under the impression a forum was for the purpose of discussion.Banning someone because he answers a lot of inqueries, seems to defeat the purpose.Just my opinion.....

• jowben1
    14 years ago

I might add, that I use Primeagra, and Hydroton, but guess I shouldn't say where I purchase it ....

• highjack
    14 years ago

He was banned for promoting his business. I thought he came back after Spike left and was banned again by iVillage?

Jowben what do you want to discuss?

Brooke

• orchid126
    14 years ago

What size of the Prime Agra, Hydroton or Aliflor does everyone use, and for what type of plant? I find that using them straight calls for too much attention, but like Calvin, I throw it into my looser mixes, especially for it's water absorbtion and weight. I think in no time the charcoal absorbs so much "bad stuff" that it becomes saturated and then the reverse happens, it starts to shed the bad stuff back into the medium. No proof, only my opinion.