Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Saved phal with crown rot - now what ?

dakota01
9 years ago

I didn't have the heart to throw out my strong blooming Phal that got root rot.
Poor thing had one withered leaf left, so I put it outside and ignored it except for water and a little Magna Grow occasionally.

It slowly started to get another leaf, then another and now I have 5 leaves and another one coming.

It also started to get healthy roots coming above the crown rotted area. It is really looking healthy! I think being outside in the high humidity really helped it out.

It will need to come soon, so I will need to repot and spray for bugs.

Should I leave it at the original planting depth or lower it to where the new roots are coming from? Should I cut it off the dead crown area when I repot, I do not think there are any good roots below where the new roots are sprouting from,

Can you suggest a mild bug spray. It could have a few white flies. I have the Bayer Rose and flower insecticide but that may be too strong for orchids. The bottle does not mention it's ok to use on them.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

a picture is needed...

• dakota01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I knew someone would say that.

Where is the post that explains how to post pics? I have no idea how to do it.

I have an Android phone and an iPad, which is easier to post pics from.

Many thanks!!

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

You need to get a free account with Photobucket or Shutterfly. Get the App on your phone (I use Photobucket). Take your picture on your phone or Ipad and upload it to Photobucket (or whatever photo program you choose). They all have Apps.

Go to the program (PHotobucket) and R-click the HTML link on the side of the photo. Paste that into your post on Garden Web. Hit Preview and you will see your photo. Its easy.

Regarding the Phal, without the picture it sounds like your plant made a basal keiki (baby) which has its own root system. If the mother plant looks dead, just cut the new plant away from the original. Make sure you include the roots from the new growth and plant it.

Jane

• dakota01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jane, you make posting pics sound easier than what I found when I searched this site.

I don't think it's a kieke, it's more like my plant made a miraculous recovery, the leaves seem to big to be a kieke. It just looks very healthy compared to when I first put it outside and is growing healthy looking roots above the original crown.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

There is a choose file feature that will allow to post one pic. Look right above your user name. On my galaxy.

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

Yes, it is easy to post a picture as this forum has an "Image file to upload" button. As for bug spray, I've used insecticidal soap before on phalaenopsis with no ill effect. Should be fine for whiteflies, thrips, whatever else you might have gathered from the great outdoors. Be sure you smear it over the leaves 100%. Slow on scale, but hopefully you don't have that. As for your repotting question, I'd use some common sense. Remove whatever is dead, and put the plant deep enough in the pot, so some roots go into the potting medium, and use medium to coarse bark so the plant gets plenty of air below. It's ok if a few roots reach out all over the place, but I think lower is good in general. Be sure you don't put the crown of the plant below the "soil" line though. Congratulations on the recovery. Janine