Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchid_ladycats

bud to bloom time for Phrag??

orchid_ladycats
14 years ago

Hi! I hope someone on the forum can help me. I have a Phrag. Jason Fischer I purchased in 2006 after seeing its glorious picture on the cover of the AOS publication. It was not in bloom or in bud at the time, but had remnants of an earlier spike so I was confident it might bloom again.

I don't have a green house; I have been growing orchids for about 20 years, first on a window sill, and now on a stand with lights in a very sunny room, with plants on humidity trays. I like to buy orchids that aren't blooming because I like the challenge of seeing if I can "make" it happen! I've been pretty successful, with phals blooming and reblooming all the time, some cattleyas, a vanda at the moment -- I really never expected to get the vanda to rebloom! -- dendrobium, odontoglossum, a paph that bloomed once and never returned, and a phrag Hannah Popow, that bloomed maybe twice and then died.

The Jason Fischer is now budding! I promised myself that if it bloomed I would have a party to celebrate. I want to know about how long it will take from this bud stage until fully mature bloom stage, so I can plan! Also, I would love not to lose this phrag after blooming, like I did with the Hannah Popow and the paph. Any ideas would be so appreciated!

thanks, Joan

Comments (4)