Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid Newbie Help...please

Posted by puglvr1 9 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 10:18

Hi,

Its my first time on this forum and was wondering if I can get some help/advise on my Orchid?

I've had this orchid(dendrobium) for appx. 6 months. Its in a 4" clay pot and a couple of the roots are starting to come out of the bottom hole. It is also starting to fall over due to the one plant that is leaning with all the blooms. Should I repot this with orchid bark...am I suppose to trim the roots? I know nothing about orchids... This is the first one I've been succesfull with and its even blooming for me for the first time.

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid Newbie Help...please

Hi puglvr1 and welcome to the forum. We have a lot of your fellow Floridians on the forum and I'm sure one of them will chime in here.

Congrats on keeping your lovely plant alive. You don't want to trim live roots and repotting at this time of year is not good. Dends like to be rootbound and it should be fine until Spring. In the meantime place the plant in a clay pot that will fit the roots snugly. Put that pot into a larger clay pot, the azaelea type work best. You can fill the space between the two pots with rock, this should solve the tipping over problem.

Your plant looks very wet and I see that it's growing in spag...staying too wet with this type of dend is NOT good. The clay pot will help get air to the roots and facilitate drying out faster. You'll have to let that spag almost totally dry out before watering the plant, especially now with the cooler temps upon us.

Again welcome and good luck with your plant.

o
RE: Orchid Newbie Help...please

Hi Granniek, Thank you for all your advise and input.

Actually, the reason the roots are very wet is because I just had it out in the rain just a couple of minutes before I took the picture,lol... I haven't watered it in a week...so I placed it under the rain for a few minutes. It seems to love rain water. I only water it once a week.

I will take your advise and use a bigger pot with some rocks to keep it from tipping over. We are still in the 90's here and will remain that for another 6-8 weeks, slowly cooling off in the 80's by mid Nov.

Thanks again for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here