Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjlyttle

orchid pots - where do you buy them?

kjlyttle
17 years ago

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you all used the orchid pots with all the holes in the sides? I have been looking for some on the web and all I can seem to find are the plastic Crackpots or some really expensive hand made ones. I grow most of my orchids outside handing under the coconut palms; and most of my orchids are phals and dendrobiums. I have two vandas and one cat.

Thanks!

K

Comments (14)

• lunaticvulpine
    17 years ago

well if youre looking for the clay one you can go to kkorchid.com they sell them there or you can take a trip to one of the big box stores i dont know if they all sel them but i know my local home depot sells them along with the nicer glazed ones as well
    hope that helps

Gaston

• chippybug10
    17 years ago

Yea, kkorchid.com is great for supplies, especially those pots with the holes in the side. I've gotten the larger ones from them before, no problems whatsoever. I've never seen any clay pots with the holes at any big box stores, however, my local big boxes also don't sell the beautiful orchids I've heard some other people say they've seen; I've got ghetto big boxes :-(

• cat80
    17 years ago

HD carries them but unfortunately now is not a good time to buy. I found that out last fall. But they have loads of them in the spring, including some very nice ones for a fraction of the cost elsewhere. You would have more of a selection at a HD with a garden center, especially the ones that carries orchids. Apparently not all HD sell orchids!
    And if you're looking for clear plastic with side slots, try calwesttropical.com
    Hope this helps.

• auger
    17 years ago

You might want to take a trip to Banjong Orchids. 17720 SW 218 ST in Homestead. I got these from them at the Fairchild Orchid Festival back in May(?). I think they were $10 a set, the one on the left had 1 smaller one, and the one on the right had 3 smaller ones. They were imported from somewhere in Asia. I don't have their #, but you may have a hard time talking to them unless you speak Thai, but you may get lucky and get someone who speaks english well enough. But they may be "what are you talking about" because I think they specialize in just orchids, and not orchid supplies. They may have just ordered the pots for the festival.

I don't know about the quality. As you can see, some parts are lighter then other parts, and they feel a little rough, but I dont know anything about clay pots. I haven't touched these since I bought them.

{{gwi:194444}}

• jefflikesorchids
    17 years ago

There is a large selection of pots of all kinds at the place i work, lots of specially made orchid ones in there. that's where i get mine, and theyre 20% off woot

• ms_minnamouse
    17 years ago

Oh! Oh! I have the answer for you! Go to thrift shops. They usually have all kinds of containers (not just plant containers) and I often see ones with holes that'd be great for orchids and at a whole lot less money too.

• rudy_quailcreekpottery_com
    16 years ago

Check out www.quailcreekpottery.com for handthrown original stoneware orchid pots and trays. We make them in Olympia Washington.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quail Creek Pottery & Plants

• leubafr
    16 years ago

I buy my orchid pots with holes at Wally World and HD. You have to continuously look for them as they come in now and then and are gone right away. Off season is usually when they have them because they don't know the season.
    I need more myself. Also, I have drilled holes in some other pots. Just go slow and don't push hard. A masonry bit will do the job well.

Leubafr

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

Soak a clay pot in water long enough for it to be waterlogged, take a dermal tool or any other drill, and drill holes. Happy decorating. The key is to soak it, or it will break. L

• second_chance
    16 years ago

Good tip! I was wondering if their was a way to aerate my old clay pots. THANKS!

• PRO
    Chula Orchids
    7 years ago

We sell the best high quality clear plastic orchid pots with plenty of drainage and ventilation at Chula Orchids. Here is our website, <www.chulaorchids.com> We have been in the business for over 50 years. :) You will find excellent customer service and THE BEST prices available. Check us out! Also check these articles on our site designed to help a newcomer learn the tricks of the trade. https://www.chulaorchids.com/growing-orchids-101.html https://www.chulaorchids.com/testimony.html

• Northern Orchid
    7 years ago

I just using plastic ware from Walmart, but I'm making holes in it using regular solder.

• Ben(8b/9a north FL)
    7 years ago

in south florida check OFI nt'l, in Orlando check Tropical plant products, also check craigs List for used pots at very low prices, provided you're ok wth cleaning them. Also nurseries that sell orchids will occasionally sell used clay pots, won't hurt to call every orchid nursery in your area and inquire

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm